Orvis Company - Learned a lot about retail, the outdoors, and myself while working here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Orvis Company

"Learned a lot about retail, the outdoors, and myself while working here"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Orvis Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At a time they had wonderful and unique items, and buyers that went all over the world.

Cons

They got rid of a fabulous manager and hired a terrible one. Fly-fishing and outdoor merchandise is some of the best with the knowledge base to sell it, rest of the clothing skews bland and older now.

Advice to Management

Outdoor clothing companies are madly followed and inspire fashion trends. You could use a tastemaker in there.

Other Employee Reviews for Orvis Company

"I loved working at Orvis"

Pros

I really enjoyed my time working at Orvis. The town and setting was absolutely beautiful and I progressed through a number of roles that I found challenging over the years. As in any work setting, my work experiences varied depending on my direct manager, but most of the people I worked for were supportive and I felt as though we were partners. Being a mid-sized company allowed me the chance to learn a lot of different skills while still having substantial exposure to upper management.

Cons

While Manchester is a beautiful town, it's a difficult place for two career oriented people to make it work since there are not many other employers. My impression is also that the salaries are somewhat lower here because of the lack of direct competition.

2. "Many opportunities to grow with the company."

Former Employee - Product Development Manager in Sunderland, VT
    Former Employee - Product Development Manager in Sunderland, VT

I worked at Orvis Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great location. Good comraderie with coworkers. Clear vision, goals, and worker expectations. A family run business that rewards its employees based on objective measures rather than subjective opinions. Lots of opportunities to move up within the company. Employee expectations are reasonable. Salary is competitive.

Cons

Being a family run business low tier employees often have direct contact with the owners and upper management. While this can be an advantage it is often a disadvantage if mid-managers do not communicate goals, expectations and vision well. A good employee can suffer some hardships if his supervisor is weak or doesn't communicate well. The system can break down, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on imparting vision to your employees and train your management staff how to communicate vision, goals, and positive reinforcement to employees. Orvis does well at this although some mid-managers in the past did not have good people skills.