Overstock.com - Company In Turmoil | Glassdoor

"Company In Turmoil"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool new building, although not quite what we expected. It has a cafeteria and the work areas are definitely open floorplan but cramped work areas and lack of personal space makes it hard to concentrate. Also, the “child care” is really more of an expensive pre-school for the upper level people who can already afford child-care, not the majority of us entry level people working paycheck to paycheck…. Who the heck came up with this menu of employee “perks” anyway? Bottom line: Cool new building but open floorplan and childcare are a swing and a miss.

Cons

Not a great place to get promoted unless you are part of the inner circle. I know this common in small mom-n-pop shops like Overstock, but it’s definitely more prevalent here than I’ve ever seen before and it is hampering company growth and confidence in senior management. There is also something odd going on with the executive team. Anyone close to the past president has either left or is on the verge of leaving and been replaced by people from the CEO’s inner circle. I know these type of management cleansings are common in business, but 10 executives in less than a year from a company of 1,500 employees is pretty severe in my experience. I can’t say if things are better or worse with these changes but this kind of movement is concerning. My biggest issue is that Overstock has returned to the annual “rank-and-yank” policy that the CEO is such a fan of. No one is safe. I think the thing that bothers me most about Patrick’s disconnected “rich boy” attitude is that he waits until after Christmas to make the cuts, because he needs his worker-bees putting in long, hard stressful hours to get him through the shopping season. Once the holiday is over and he’s counted his money, he immediately demands cuts from his managers… He's a real piece of work! Bottom line: Not a good place to build a career. Too many politics, low job security, and out of touch CEO.

Continue reading
    Overstock.com2017-01-16

"International Logistics Specialist"

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

A great opportunity to learn and grow among several different teams with a specialzied focus. Great location with amazing amenities as well.

Cons

It is tough to be noticed if you do not take the initiative to make yourself known to others.

Overstock.com2018-08-10
  2. "Highly recommend"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elma, WA

I have been working at Overstock.com part-time for more than a year

Pros

I've loved working here. If your personable and competent then you will go far.

Cons

Upper management seems to be out of touch with reality at times.

Overstock.com2020-02-23

Discover more reviews about Overstock.com.