Overstock.com - A good Short Term gig | Glassdoor

"A good Short Term gig"

Current Employee - Photo Editor in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Photo Editor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty laid back work environment. You have to clock in and out but as long as you hit around 40 hours/week the schedule is a little flexible on your start and end times each day. They have some fun company activities and other morale boosting activities on a pretty regular basis. The people who work here are awesome!

Cons

Job can be mundane and boring. Editors are given very little responsibility besides dropping out background and uploading images to the website. The worst part is that they pay the photo team very little based on the skill set requirements and raises are so hard to come by. Its prob a good name to have on the resume but most people cannot afford to stay here very long before they find a better paying job.

Advice to Management

The people who physically create the face of the online company should be treated with a little more care. Pay a competitive rate and the turnover wouldn't be nearly so high.

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

"Great people to work with, but bad upper management leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of very smart people in development. Technology is fairly current and fun to work with.

Cons

Upper management make decisions based on whims. Started out with 10 good ideas for the year. Now we are trying to manage 20+. They do not stay on task when it comes to goals.

Advice to Management

QUIT!!! We need new management. We need to stick to our decisions and not try to throw the whole kitchen sink when we already failed last year.

"Good environment. Great People. Opportunity for growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overstock gives you opportunity to move up within the company. Many new-hires are made from within. Good health benefits.

Cons

Sporadic bonuses and no sick time (vacation time must be used for sick days).

Advice to Management

Keep the strong ethical backbone of the company intact, and put better checks/balances on the influence that our Customer Service SVP has on the rest of the organization.