Overstock.com - One of the few CEO's who really cares about his employees and helping others | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

"One of the few CEO's who really cares about his employees and helping others"

Current Employee - Customer Care
Current Employee - Customer Care

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are multiple departments to move to throughout the company.

Patrick, the CEO, is a genuinely nice person (in my personal experience) who will take the time to stop and talk to the employees as he walks through the different offices. He is open to suggestions from employees on how to improve work processes and benefits which he has implemented. I have read some of the reviews and there are other former and current employees who have a different opinion.

The co-workers are wonderful people.

Cons

It can be discouraging when trying to advance to other departments when many employees apply for the same position. There does seem to be favoritism, but I have noticed some improvement during the time I have been here. There is a lot of micro management.

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

"Great then really bad"

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had some world class managers and great opportunities for growth

Cons

Had some world class bozos as managers who were totally offensive

"Thoughtless, careless leaders. The worst I've seen."

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity for learning and advancing yourself at this company; however, there is little "mentorship" or help. In order to succeed, you must be able to learn complex systems on your own.

Cons

To the review who stated, "some employees think a company exists only to make their lives better," shame on you. Every employee I worked with at this company WANTED Overstock.com to succeed, put in hours of effort and sweat, and have gone through the grinder to make Overstock.com what it is today. Your comment shows exactly what is wrong with this company.

Here are some of the "cons" I witnessed throughout the years I worked for this company:
    - Random firing sprees. I witnessed one of 20+ people or more, none of whom were on a performance plan and had any reason to believe they would be fired.
    - Random firings. If you have a laptop in a meeting, or look at your cell phone (even if it's work-related) and an executive doesn't like it, you could be asked to leave the company at that moment.
    - "Trial and Error Promotions." When someone leaves the company, instead of hiring or promoting, Overstock will FORCE the responsibility on to someone, and not give them a pay increase or a title change. Several "managers" are doing the work of senior directors. One VP is particularly to blame for this, and claims that "we'll change things in February, when it's time for bonuses and raises." SHAME ON YOU.
    - Degradation of knowledge for internal systems, causing degradation of the company itself
    - Lack of overall strategy. This company is THE MOST REACTIVE you will ever work for, and you will NEVER be able to set a long-term strategy in place because of this. Don't even bother.
    - Politics and nepotism. Favorites are consistently promoted to the top, even if they lack the necessary skills to complete the job. This causes a VERY LOW moral and the "workers" to be unmotivated and careless.
    - A general lack of care for the employees by upper level management. Employees are looked upon as grunts that don't matter, forced to work unbelievably long hours for unbelievably NON-COMPETITIVE PAY.
    - The company was told every year, "the bonus pool is going to be great!" and every year, without fail, there is some excuse as to why the bonuses are bad. People will be told, "don't worry, it's worth it for the bonus!" by upper management, only to be shafted when it comes that time of year. Don't even count on a bonus.

All in all, the leadership of the company is destroying the company, day by day. For years, they have said they will change, for years they have not. Don't expect things to change any time soon. This is not a place for a career.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the upper-level leaders who are selfishly looking out for themselves, driving out your valuable and ethical employees. The problem starts at the top, and needs to be fixed there as well. Stop ignoring the problem.

"What problem?"