Overstock.com - At work with The O | Glassdoor

"At work with The O"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Most of the managers i have encountered have encouraged growth within the company by sharing their knowlegde and helping their employees succeed in the tasks they have given. Overall there are very positive people in management positions who are open and helpful to the associates they are in charge of.

Cons

In my departmental transfers i have had difficult transitional periods adjusting to a head-strong individual who possesses an aggressive micro-management style but lacks the overarching grasp of his possition to assign tasks that have clear conditions in which the goals were to be achieved. Luckily, my flexibility allows a sort of middle ground where i get my job done without affecting anything adversely.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers here show a willingness to get "into the trenches" and work alongside their associates shouldering the load when days get hectic, it's very comendable to see that motivation of "do as i do", rather than managing from a chair relying solely on delegation of leg work to leads to pass information up and down the chain. And it's not just middle management, the upper echelon of leadership is not afraid to get out on the floor and work up a sweat.

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

1. "I am proud to work at Overstock.com."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great and fun environment. Good benefits. Great people. Exciting opportunities. Company pride.

Cons

Too stressful at times. Low pay for some positions. Politics.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "I've always loved working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

-Having a CEO that walks around and asks what you're up to so he knows his business from the ground up.
    -Having a CEO with a social conscience
    -Upper management that have senses of humor
    -Good health benefits- in over 4 years there's only been one time our insurance has said "no" (and I'm still working on getting that yes)
    -Move up from within! You can start out on the phones but if you learn everything you can, you can end up being a decision maker one day.

Cons

-Sometimes if you're the person doing your job well and not causing problems, you're the one that's overlooked. (Squeaky wheel gets the grease you know)
    -Pay rarely matches what most others make at other places. I've always said "you have to really want to work here"....cause it won't be for the pay, but there's so many other trade offs that make it worthwhile. Still, it would be nice to make industry standard

Advice to Management

There's a general feeling sometimes that only "the beautiful people" get plucked from a crowd and taught how to be "the next big thing" while others fight their way up the ladder. Although many of us know there's a lot of determination and drive that's looked at it does seem (quite often actually) that positions are created for the beautiful people while everyone else waits for a job to post so they can have the opportunity for the spotlight, to toot their own horn and a have chance for advancement.

This may not be the case- but it's the perception, and that's what needs to be managed.