Overstock.com - A great company that honestly cares for their employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

"A great company that honestly cares for their employees"

Current Employee - Domestic Freight Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Domestic Freight Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great benefits, and offers a great environment and culture to work in.

Cons

The rating scale for bonuses is a very flawed and inconsistent process. I've been direct with my supervisors about this, and nothing seems to change.

Advice to Management

I love the direction of the company. Hopefully as we move forward we can continue to gain products for name brand goods.

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

"Been here just under a year and so far its been alright. Good but not great."

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. I am in at 8:30 AM and out at 5:30 PM with little exception. The 401K had just been enhanced to now match 100% up to 6% with immediate vesting (you do have to be employed 3 months before you can participate).

The company tries to listen to their employees and implement their suggestions through surveys and online Idea submissions that anyone in the company can post to. Overstock also provides a lot of fun events for people to participate in (a day at an amusement park –that was really fun, private concerts, a few holiday parties).

The pay here is also very competitive and at or slightly above market.

As of now, if you work in the main office, you will have easy access to the freeway but not public transit.

Cons

There are a few things to be aware of before coming to work here. With regards to management, they are a little weird. The CEO is really nice and tries to do innovative things but he tends to not have a strong vision and he jumps from pet project to pet project so you will begin working on something that they say is top priority and the he gets bored with it and the whole project gets scrapped. He is the majority shareholder so he also kind of treats the company like his own personal hobby train set.

The management (presidents, managers, and the CEO) also tend to fire people who don’t agree with them. Even if management’s ideas aren't all that good, they can’t take unsolicited feedback and are quick to fire people who aren't ‘team players’. So if you are scared of being ambushed by layoffs or getting fired because you have strong opinions then maybe reconsider working here. (I felt like the job was worth the risk and can find a new one if it came to that)

As of now the CEO keeps shuffling where people work too, so get used to commuting. Even if you buy a home next to work you will likely have to commute to a different site than the one you initially reported to.

With the management running the company at 70% efficiency, they actually do an ok job but they need to go back to business school and take a look at basic marketing principles. They get most of it right but there are a few weird things with their website and how much they spend on commercials that just makes no sense in a business setting (but that’s what you get with a good company that is treated a bit like a toy by the CEO)

For the job itself, get used to having your access restricted down to the bare minimum to do your job. I came from a company that was about the same size as this one and was treated like a DBA. Here you will only be given access to fulfill your roll.

The systems they use here also need some TLC but they do buy decent software. Attempts to change the system to bring it up to basic industry best practice standards will be met with resistance and annoyance because ‘it above your pay grade to worry about that kind of thing’. So apply as a DBA if you want to have influence over that.

And finally, there are also a few toxic departments here so it’s a crap shoot. You may get a great team, department, manager…or you might not. I personally lucked out and got a good one. I've asked about how to turn those departments around but the toxic people in those departments are too connected and entrenched to really effect any positive change.

Advice to Management

Patrick should just chair the board and not get so involved. He has good ideas but there is no way for them to get shot down when he suggests bad ones.

Also don't be so political and fire everyone the moment they disagree with you. Allow people to be critical of they system and the ideas with the goal of improving and making the company even better.

"Run, don't walk from this company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Benefits are not bad. Flexible hours.

Cons

I worked for Overstock.com for 3 years. It was one of the worst ran companies I have seen. Software developers are treated as 2nd tier employees. People in IT are often referred to as 'resources' rather than members of a project. They are told what to implement and there is little to no true collaboration between developers and the 'business side' because of power control. Unfortunately a lot of development teams are OK with this because it allows them to put minimal effort in, arriving at 9:30 and leaving at 4:45.

There is little to no room for advancement in IT. Ask about it.

Communication between teams is near non existent. In fact there exists a certain "if I don't have to tell you I won't" type attitude in near every area of IT. Much of the IT staff is being moved to the Warehouse facilities where the office space is terrible (but they won't show you that during the interview).

Most Developers are given 1 box that is a core2duo machine, yes a core2duo!! Two 26 1080p monitors. I have heard it called sweat shop development, thus the terrible hardware provided. They have a 3 year hardware cycle program, but buy low end stuff to start with.

The new CTO (as of a year ago) came in because he had been 'successful' with out-sourcing at KPMG. He has started the same sourcing to India at Overstock as well. It is not popular, but he continues to push it through.

To summarize, on the surface Overstock seems like a good place to work. But the details show a company that doesn't trust their IT/Development group. Has staff cycling through it in many departments. Overall you will be treated as just a number in the staff. Lastly Amazon is eating Overstock's any potential for growth.

Advice to Management

If you want a company to grow, hire the right people and let them do so...