Overstock.com - Run, don't walk from this company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

"Run, don't walk from this company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Benefits are not bad. Flexible hours.

Cons

I worked for Overstock.com for 3 years. It was one of the worst ran companies I have seen. Software developers are treated as 2nd tier employees. People in IT are often referred to as 'resources' rather than members of a project. They are told what to implement and there is little to no true collaboration between developers and the 'business side' because of power control. Unfortunately a lot of development teams are OK with this because it allows them to put minimal effort in, arriving at 9:30 and leaving at 4:45.

There is little to no room for advancement in IT. Ask about it.

Communication between teams is near non existent. In fact there exists a certain "if I don't have to tell you I won't" type attitude in near every area of IT. Much of the IT staff is being moved to the Warehouse facilities where the office space is terrible (but they won't show you that during the interview).

Most Developers are given 1 box that is a core2duo machine, yes a core2duo!! Two 26 1080p monitors. I have heard it called sweat shop development, thus the terrible hardware provided. They have a 3 year hardware cycle program, but buy low end stuff to start with.

The new CTO (as of a year ago) came in because he had been 'successful' with out-sourcing at KPMG. He has started the same sourcing to India at Overstock as well. It is not popular, but he continues to push it through.

To summarize, on the surface Overstock seems like a good place to work. But the details show a company that doesn't trust their IT/Development group. Has staff cycling through it in many departments. Overall you will be treated as just a number in the staff. Lastly Amazon is eating Overstock's any potential for growth.

Advice to Management

If you want a company to grow, hire the right people and let them do so...

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

"Usually Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overstock.com provides many benefits for the employees, which they are not required to do. Upper management does try to relate to the lower employees. There are the politics that you find in any company, but I feel that Overstock.com is better than most.

Cons

There are still those at the company that hire by who they know and not what they know. Don't expect to earn a mint working for Overstock.com. I have not had a raise in 3.5 years.

Advice to Management

Give raises to the employees who work hard and care about the job they do.

2. "Encouraging atmosphere with great leadership"

Current Employee - Software Tester in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Tester in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first thing I noticed about OverStock was how professional everyone is. I was also very intimidated at first because everyone seemed almost.. over intelligent (from what I was used to). These worries were quicked snuffed out because everyone is so helping and encouraging of growth and learning. The management is not overbearing, and I'm often left asking what more I can do (which I guess could be a con). Very relaxed atmosphere, couldn't be happier.

Cons

The air quality in the building is not the greatest, though this isn't directly OverStock's fault I feel like they should be addressing it. One thing I miss from my previous job is the one on one meetings I had with my team lead. Though this is said to occur at OverStock it has only happened once since I've been here (4 months).

Advice to Management

Keep being open and communicating with the company. I love that. The only thing that I wish is that the directors of departments, I wish they were more open and personal with the lower level employees. I know they're busy so this might not be possible but it would be nice.