Overstock.com - Rules Employees with Fear | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

"Rules Employees with Fear"

Former Employee - Associateo Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Associateo Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful scenery
Great coworkers
Can quickly climb the ladder

Cons

- Management Team is atrocious. They rule employees with scare tactics and constant layoffs.

-The CEO is an egomaniac who will quickly toss aside employees who have been with the company for years because he has a bad day.

- the company is not quick enough to change with the market. New projects take a year + to implement and by the time they're up and running management changes direction again.

Advice to Management

Stop posting positive reviews to counteract the negative/accurate feedback. Anyone who has worked at this company knows the 4 & 5 star reviews are completely falsified.

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

"IF YOU CAN FAKE IT, YOU CAN MAKE IT."

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like that you could easily move within the departments to train on other jobs within the company, however this usually has to be done on your down time, which is nice if you are one of those people who like to keep busy. Down side to this, once you are trained you will be expected and asked to help that department, of course you can say no, but that will make you look bad. More often than not people will do it to appease management and management does not compensate you for picking up the slack and extra work of the other department.

This company is great at creating jobs, not great at creating careers.

Not all the worker bees sucked, there were a few good apples.

Hours were good.

Cons

Management is a joke here. Its a very political culture, where if you're not brown nosing your superiors, or gossiping with them you are not part of the pack, and come end of the year when they do cuts you will be left behind . This place does not base its merits on your hard work, but on how popular you are with the "in" crowd. Its very much like high school, your boss will be nice to your face, but talk about you behind your back, or have plans to put you out by not leading you adequately. You are pretty much on your own when it comes to training and doing the job to their standards. Supervisors are not held accountable for mistakes you may make during the learning process, nor are they held accountable to lead you in the right direction. I personally never got constructive criticism from my supervisor, they were unhappy with my work, but chose to not bring it to my attention until they wanted to let me go. They would like you to think that they "care" and they definitely do a good job of putting on a show, however when push comes to shove, they are like any other corporate company, and will not hesitate to make necessary cuts. This company has no tact in how they handle people who do not fit their culture.

When employed I was very dissatisfied with their health care choices, their dental plan was not worth the money put into it, and neither was their medical. I never even met my deductible for that year to even have it benefit me a little.

My advice, stay on guard, document everything, follow the herd if you would like to keep your job, because even keeping to yourself could cost you, stay on top of your supervisor, and make sure they are staying on top of you. Just cover all your bases, and take everything with a grain of salt.

They are just like any other corporate company, though they claim to be different, they are not. Really the only difference is you can tell this is a Utah based online company when you go online. The website is amateur at best, they have a lot of head way to get through compared to their competitors.

Also the pay does not match with what they expect of you. Not worth it in the end.

Amazons clothing department alone puts Overstocks to shame.

Advice to Management

Reform your management team or at the very least train the supervisors to actually do their jobs and supervise. There were sketchy things going on behind the scenes in the creative department, might want to look into that, and stay on top of the ones you might supposedly trust.

Also might want to look into changing who you are competing against because Overstock does not hold a candle to Amazon. C'mon?!?! Really?!?! Aim lower and you may stay above water.

"A Corporate Circus - never a dull moment but very exhausting."

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My position allows me to be a fly on the wall. I interact with executives, entry level associates and mid-management folks on a regular basis. Very laid back environment. Upward mobility in this company is a very real possibility. The CEO, Dr. Patrick Byrne, is an eclectic student of eastern thought and this is very apparent in his decisions.

Your happiness will very much depend on the department that you are in. I've luckily been placed in one where the department's VP knows me personally and will advocate for anyone worthwhile and coach the ones that aren't worth a grain of salt out.

If you are seeking a rainbow friendly, pet-advocating, fair trade proponent employer then O.co is the place for you. Just read the next section to understand the cons.

Cons

Nepotism. Nepotism. Nepotism. This a prevailing theme inside of the organization. It wouldn't bother me so much if they were contributing members of their team. The benefactors are placed into positions they are so clearly unqualified for. This makes surrounding colleagues pick up the slack.

If professionalism is something that you highly value, I'd suggest to keep looking. Vulgarity is quite acceptable and sometimes encouraged. Patrick always has a colorful comment during company-wide meetings - entertaining to me personally, but I can see how offensive certain people.

Compare the salaries of senior executives against Amazon - Overstock pays theirs nearly double. This is very unwarranted for some executives and a real slap in the face when you see the disparity compared to hourly employees and the promise of a "bonus" each year.

Management is very volatile. I understand this industry requires agile decision making, but the amount of change is staggering. Like I said, upward mobility is a very real possibility in this company - but that sometimes isn't a good thing. On the plus side, if you don't like your boss it's a very good chance you will have a different one in a few months.

With any job, but especially this one in particular, I'd recommend having a backup plan and continuing to seek employment. I've known entire teams to disappear and executives traversing the many levels below them to personally fire someone if they don't like them.