Overstock.com - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, office culture, location

Cons

nothing much to say here. Maybe more perks and sick days off

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

"Rules Employees with Fear"

Former Employee - Associateo Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Associateo Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful scenery
    Great coworkers
    Can quickly climb the ladder

Cons

- Management Team is atrocious. They rule employees with scare tactics and constant layoffs.

-The CEO is an egomaniac who will quickly toss aside employees who have been with the company for years because he has a bad day.

- the company is not quick enough to change with the market. New projects take a year + to implement and by the time they're up and running management changes direction again.

Advice to Management

Stop posting positive reviews to counteract the negative/accurate feedback. Anyone who has worked at this company knows the 4 & 5 star reviews are completely falsified.

"Overall, not a bad place to be employed at"

Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We all go to work to earn a paycheck and that's definitely my number one pro for Overstock since the starting wage is more than the ending wage at my last job where I was in management and worked for four years . Most days, I can honestly say that I enjoy going to work and being in the frontline customer care team. I have options to actually help customers, at least the reasonable ones, and to "do the right thing". The company also has lots of fun things that help your attitude towards work. Examples: Lagoon Day, their OUniversity resources, polls to employees to give you the impression your opinion matters.

Cons

For me, the biggest con has been noticing that it's more of who you know than your actual abilities to be able to move around to other departments. It's caused me to wonder whether I want to actually work here long term. The company's requirements to "tier up" and gain additional tools to help your daily job are also a bit ridiculous. I was able to get to their tier 2 within a few months of being on the floor, which made me feel great about myself & work abilities. But since then I've been a few percentages off from their stat requirements to go to tier 3, making me feel "stuck" and not able to progress, despite trying my best to help customers and follow proper procedures. On top on this, the company's Internal Knowledge Base (IKB) is seriously outdated and could use a makeover - unlike other company websites that are rarely used that have undergone recent makeovers.

Advice to Management

I love the vibe given at stand ups of every employee counting and working together. However, the daily grind isn't really like that. There's a lack of communication between departments (at least from my perspective in frontline where backline reps seem annoyed at questions or request for help with customers), resources (IKB) that I use daily are outdated, and the obvious favoritism through out the company is a real bummer.