Overstock.com - Too much firefighting | Glassdoor

"Too much firefighting"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasionally they will spring for a pizza party or similar lunch. To compensate for 60 hour weeks.

Cons

Where is the long term strategic planning to match up with day to day operations? This place is always changing, there is a real lack of fire prevention activities.

Advice to Management

Lay off the 'social conscience' stuff as it creates a hostile work environment, regardless of the "it's for a good cause' aspect.

Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com

"Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overstock can be a fun place to work, if not a bit juvenile. Schedules can be flexible and facilities are nice.

Cons

Although I honestly believe this company is run by people with good intentions, there is no organization or sense of direction. The CEO is a great man whom deserves respect as he truly cares for his company but the company has a very poor structure. There are way too many departments and managers. There is no consistency in the management of each department. Some managers are too laid back and unproductive while others (the majority) take themselves much, much too seriously. I think the folks in upper management would be surprised to hear what gets said about all those VPs and Directors in addition to what one Director may say about another, it's really uncomfortable to be around. To all those Directors and VP's, it's not a competition so pull back a little. To be successful there means you have to enjoy working in an environment where there is no or very little training, no follow up unless the wheels fall off and no real sense of direction. What is important today may very well be replaced tomorrow which will result in a whole new set of marching orders. If you like to work where there is a common vision and a sense that everyone is working to a single goal, don't work there. If you want even a minimal amount of organization, look elsewhere because it does not exists at Overstock. Bottom line, you can do better than working at Overstock. Lots of glitter, very little substance.

I've been away for a couple months now so my comments have most likely been tempered by time.

Advice to Management

Thin the management herd a little and make them understand it's not a competition between departments to see who gets the most attention.

"I enjoyed a very organized and effective training program. I achieved 90% Quality Satisfaction and was promoted quickly."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Table Tennis at SLC headquarters. A very large friendly team, fun games and prizes, excellent training, company ethics, great brand reputation, great customers, upper management was supportive, encouraging and available, CEO, Patrick Byrne is cool and inspiring. He threw a large party for us, good pay, and great work environment.

Cons

The location in Salt Lake City is quite bland, very strict and timely regarding clocking in and out for breaks and such. You spend a lot of time with your co workers so I remember clashing with one of supervisors and it led to me quitting the company.

Advice to Management

Upper management is doing great. Thanks for making it a safe, healthy and prosperous environment.