Owens Corning - OC is a good place to work and has its perks, but can do much better developing people and their careers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Owens Corning

"OC is a good place to work and has its perks, but can do much better developing people and their careers"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toledo, OH

Pros

OC is a global company with the opportunity to make a sizeable bonus based on corporate performance. Lots of opportunity throughout the organization to impact decision making at all levels of the organization. 100% on first 5% 401K match.

Cons

Career advancement can happen, but many open positions are not posted on the internal job board and people are merely placed in roles (although I have benefited from this practice). Not enough advanced planning occurs and fire drills are frequent in many areas. Horrible health insurance.

Advice to Management

Be more forthcoming with employees about the future direction of the company. Recruit more talent out of undergrad universities to fill entry-level roles. Post every open position internally. Provide a mentor system for more employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Owens Corning

"OC is a good place to work, but it could be better"

Current Employee - Programmer in Brookville, IN
    Current Employee - Programmer in Brookville, IN

Pros

I enjoy the work I do. The monetary pay for the work I do meets my expectations. My job is challenging and I am sufficiently empowered that I can implement my work as needed without endless consultation with those to whom I report.

Cons

It sometimes seems there are too few who have the knowledge and experince to get the job done and dedicated enough to continue learning. The few who can work too many hours. Retirement via mutual funds and limited corporate co-funding is inadequate for primary (hourly) employees. Too many positions are held by those who primary criterion for employment is a degree rather than general competence.

Advice to Management

Think about compensation for managers and those who actually make products. Most of the time manager compensation, especially at higher levels, appears to be out-of-line with their contribution to profitability.

2. "Plant Controller"

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart company with very talented CEO. Takes care of salary people with continuous education opportunities and cross functional training.

Cons

Workload can be intensive at the plant level with limited resources. Corporate is in Toledo which doesn't necessarily provide a great work life balance if you aren't from the area.

Advice to Management

Real smart people in management that say the right things when it counts. Some need to spend a little more time in the plants to get their perspective on how much people are doing there.