Owens-Illinois - maintenance mechanic at owens-illinois | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Owens-Illinois

"maintenance mechanic at owens-illinois"

Current Employee - General Maintenance Mechanic in Auburn, NY

Pros

the pay is decent, benefits package is decent and medical isn't too expensive. a lot of overtime offered so it helps when you need extra cash.

Cons

who's your daddy hiring practices, lack of competant management, union and front office workers are segregated.... management doesn't give much incentive to work harder or offer much praise to employees.

Advice to Management

I do like what I see from Al Stroucken, however management at my local plant could be better. There is always that feeling that management feels they are royalty and union employees are the serfs. There needs to be more communication to the union employees, involve us in more things and meetings, and incentive and reward for good work is lacking and needs to be improved.

Other Employee Reviews for Owens-Illinois

1. "If you're looking for recognition of your work don't look here, expectation is overtime and self-teaching of job duties."

Former Employee - Analyst in Perrysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Perrysburg, OH

Pros

If you are a senior manager it could be good, they get fancy management retreats and education, but have to participate in addition to their full 40 hour workload.

Cons

Not at all focused on employees, CEO worships stock price plain and simple. Not that that's bad, but it is not balanced against any apparent concern for employees. Senior management is simply not interested in knowing employee feedback, they never asked me once not even an exit interview. I got worked like a dog to cover my own and an unstaffed position for over 6 months, yet somehow all I did was never enough for my manager, no praise was ever given. And that manager is still there and is considered "successful" despite incompetence with employees.

Advice to Management

Stop spending such a high percentage of money on other senior managers programs, have some programs for the common professional employee, help them get someone on their side if their manager isn't. Take an interest in your employees and how your senior managers are treating them, request employee feedback on those managers. Pay attention to what is going on!

"Not happy with management at owens-illinois"

Current Employee - General Maintenance Mechanic in Auburn, NY

Pros

The job is local and it is a large company so benefits packages along with retirement and salaries are in line with where there should be in each respective field. Being a fortune 500 there is room for growth and many locations worldwide to work or transfer to if you so chose. They basically have a monopoly on glass container production so i wouldn't expect to see this company out of business any time soon.

Cons

Downsides with working for such a large company is the same as a lot of large corporate structure. Creativity gets lost in politics, not much individual recognition or reward. I see a lot of people in management that shouldn't be along with a lot of who's-your-daddy hiring practices. I don't see the company doing much for its own employees and there is no incentive to really work any harder especially when you receive no praise for it.

Advice to Management

Communication along with showing appreciation and value to employees (union workers) does not seem to be a high virtue to this company. Their is not much praise, recognition, reward or incentive for working hard.