Oxford Instruments - Big enough to provide great opportunities, but not so big as to be run by douchbags. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Oxford Instruments

"Big enough to provide great opportunities, but not so big as to be run by douchbags."

Former Employee - Process Technician in Yatton, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent working environment.
Good career progression opportunities.
Possibility of moving between roles in the company to find your niche.
Honest leadership, I felt like this place was trying hard not to screw you over.
Excellent travel opportunities (at least in my role)
Friendly and respectful Management

Cons

Super stingy bonus when the companies stock soared, shouldn't complain too much though. most companies wouldn't give anything.

Advice to Management

Honestly there's not much I'd change. Communication with upper management could be a bit slow though. ie waiting to find out if my contract would be renewed took so long I ended up looking elsewhere.

Other Employee Reviews for Oxford Instruments

1. "Fun company, innovative products, low compensation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

it's not an intense, dog eat dog place
    the products are fun and the customers can be interesting
    I really liked the people I worked with

Cons

layoffs occur frequently. It is a mature industry. I felt that a lot could be done with software but the company emphasis is 97% hardware.
    salaries are quite a bit lower than other companies although analytical instrumentation vendors tend to lowball people, especially PhD's and techs who aren't really marketable in hot companies
    Not a lot of transparency about financial performance & P&L's except what's in the annual report

Advice to Management

Share more business unit info (financial and performance) to operating groups so they know where they stand better and get a better context for what the biggest problems are.

"Company that has Sold Out to the Devil"

Former Employee - Manager in England, AR
    Former Employee - Manager in England, AR

I worked at Oxford Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Peers are hardworking honest people who look out for the company far too often.

Cons

Management rules with an iron fist and does not delegate authority to anyone. Expects instant results with many narrow minded decisions made by people far away from the customers. These decisions has resulted in frequent redundancies lay-off, bad company acquisitions and finally sale of many business arms.

Advice to Management

Listen to your valuable employees more often. You are driving the company to the ground. Will not be surprised if the whole company be acquired by a bigger firm soon.