PCC Structurals - Demanding and rewarding | Glassdoor

"Demanding and rewarding"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hold on to your pants, because you are going for a ride. Rewarding and demanding company who pay well for your time and work

Cons

Time demanding and constent change in managmen. There is no shortage of opertunity to move up because of the changing managmen.

Other Employee Reviews for PCC Structurals

"I work w/ great people, I am given meaningful tasks, autonomy, compensated well with many opportunities to advance"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was lucky to have been awarded the Precision Castparts Corp., Scholarship to Villanova University. Throughout college, PCC provided financial, personal and academic support. I started off interning at the SPS Technologies Fastener plant (during college) outside of Philadelphia and I learned as an intern what it meant to work hard (40+hours/ week) and be rewarded as a result.. I was challenged and held accountable throughout my years of college although I only worked during breaks.Throughout my experience with the company, I was always thrown into situations or roles I did not think I was ready for but I learned a lot about the company and grew a lot due to these challenges. PCC gave me the opportunity to pitch ideas and work hard to see results.

Nine months ago, I moved to PCC Structurals in Portland. Similar to most PCC plants, it is a fast paced environment. You will be challenged, there are many opportunities to grow, hard work is required to succeed, great compensation and benefits. PCC is open to new ideas and strategies but you must step up and work for it. PCC is not for everyone, it is for those who can handle the fast paced environment, likes to be challenged while also being recognized and rewarded for your contribution. PCC is a great company that is doing a lot of good in the community (although they never advertise this!). They have a "full ride" scholarship program where they support children throughout HS and will even pay for college (books, tuition, room&board and provide an internship) if the student succeeds. This program started in Portland and it is now duplicated in Philadelphia, Cleveland and Los Angeles. They have Scholarship programs within each Division that support "at risk" children at local community colleges. I am on the PCC Structurals' Scholarship Committee and although some weeks are stressful, this helps me feel like I am apart of something bigger than myself and I love having this role.

Cons

Sometimes it's very difficult to not get overwhelmed with the amount of work you will have but time management helps. Not as diverse as one would like but they are moving in that direction. Adjusting to the overall climate of each plant takes time. It is a results- driven environment which can be challenging at times so you will have those people who want to complain about everything which negatively affects morale in the plant. However, upper management needs to be coached on how to balance a drive for results and an understanding that your workers are people (with lives outside of work). PCC is working on this through engagement initiatives. It is not a perfect company but there is more positive attributes than negative ones.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people, engage and invest in the bottom line and you will see a ROI. Engage employees and they will stay.

"Run away!"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at PCC Structurals full-time

Pros

Ok salary, some good employees.

Cons

They will tell you anything you want to hear to get you in the door. You'll be lucky to be put into the position you're hired for. Kiss work life balance goodbye. If you have a family don't mention wanting to spend time with them, it's a joke to management and you'll be laughed out of the room. Take a day off you'll be blacklisted. Want a promotion? You don't need to do a good job you'll just need to live at work. It's a revolving door and supervisors average less than a year. Upper management makes employees work weekend overtime worth zero notice and males you, the supervisor the bad guy. Meet your goals for the week or quarter then rest assured they will immediately change the goal. Once my team exceeded the goal and they made me report to them that they missed it so they would still have to work the weekend.

Advice to Management

Treat people right and you'll find that you won't have to train new supervisors every year.