PCL Construction - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Former Intern - Summer Field Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Intern - Summer Field Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at PCL Construction as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good work environment, fair compensation. Overall I had a good experience working for PCL, definitely would recommend to those interested in the construction industry

Cons

had to move around. My position required me to move for a period of time. Definitely would not a draw back for some, but I prefer to stay in one location.

Other Employee Reviews for PCL Construction

1. "No life outside"

Former Employee - Carpenter
    Former Employee - Carpenter

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience, big fat pay cheques, always busy, days go by fast, recommend this company for apprentices as a learning experience.

Cons

Long days, back breaking work, very dangerous situations, exposed to all weather conditions, as well as exposed to low IQ's and retarded schedule pushes (but that's not a PCL problem as much as it is a industry problem), no life outside of work - you WILL be working Saturdays, became a CLAC company in Calgary.

Advice to Management

not much, just in Alberta stop with the 44 hour work week mandate, I Know it's in the labour law but these working people have families and friends outside of work too, not just in management.

2. "PCL is a very good company."

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being employee owned is a bonus. Internal Company website is very well done. Year end bonuses with stock options

Cons

Civil division: Heavy workload for salary employees. Site management is lean and site office personnel are "expected" to supervise hourly craft. Long list of office requirements are still expected to get done while site supervision is constant. Weekly internal cost management and subcontractor superision is on top of PCL hourly crew micro management. Work hrs are at 65hrs constantly to keep up with paperwork for internal and DOT. Yearly bonuses do not compensate for extended hours.

Advice to Management

Superintendents need help managing crews and cost reporting. Too much crew supervision is required of Project Engineers and Field Engineers.