PCL Construction - PCL could be so much more. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PCL Construction

"PCL could be so much more."

Current Employee - Project Engineer
Current Employee - Project Engineer

Pros

1. Excellent health care (best I have ever seen)!
2. Employee owned so the dividends are nice.
3. The business model PCL wants to follow is commendable.
4. Very diverse in scopes of work and people.

Cons

1. Long hours are very common (10-14Hr days avg), think very hard if you are willing to sacrifice your family for a larger paycheck and dividend. Most of the upper ranks are either single or just constantly working and moving all around the country with their families or letting their staff support their 7 hour day. In the end I made about $6/Hr. and lost years of my life trying to be a loyal/honest/very hard working employee.

2. No loyalty to their employees, willing to let people go easily with little or no notice. Sometimes I saw this happen to new and old employees who had just invested thousands of dollars in the stocks only to lose money shortly thereafter when let go unexpectedly. Some were good employees fresh out of college.

3. Little to no training for ALL employees wanting to learn and grow. Opportunities were limited to a select few, politics and immaturity at senior levels are evident within some districts so be ready.

Advice to Management

I wish I could have stayed with PCL for many years, I believe I could have been a very valuable contributor/leader. I appreciate the many positive things done for me in the past years and so thank you! But the modern PCL is not the company Ernie Poole started so many years ago and does not follow the guidelines that are supposedly leaned on to make decisions at both the upper management levels and at the individual levels within PCL. So I make the following recommendations:

Invest in your employees for a long future with PCL. Short sighted - bottom line mentality will hurt PCL eventually. Train them better, and when work gets slow use them in other divisions of PCL. Why waste the monetary investment and the time training them only to dump them shortly after?

Improve communication within the organization and allocate resources better to avoid laying people off, start valuing people and not just numbers.

Re-evaluate each district starting from the top down to see what is the health/culture of each one, not just money wise, but:
Leadership
Attitude
Performance
Outlook
at both the District and at the individual level, then work with it to improve these areas.

I have so much more to say but I have run out of time.

Other Employee Reviews for PCL Construction

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - QC Technician
    Current Employee - QC Technician

Pros

Great benefits, Work along side good dedicated people.

Cons

Very long hours when a job is in full swing.

Advice to Management

I had a great experience and was supported during my time with PCL.

2. "PCL gives great construction experience"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

PCL treats their employees with great respect. Management recognizes the importance of team building activities and it improves employee relationships. I found the team work ethic unmatched by any other company I have worked for. Everyone is willing to go the extra mile to help out another, this is why the company is so efficient at delivering projects on time. It made getting up at 6am to go to work for 10 hours very easy to do. PCL is also very good at meeting employee location needs. Say the word and they will try their best to place you where you want.

Cons

PCL provides great work experience and opportunities up to a certain level. However just like working for any construction company, one would probably want to eventually contract themselves out when adequate experience is obtained.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great team building activities.