PENFED Credit Union - It has been a great experience due to the people I work with, and the versatility of my daily duties. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PENFED Credit Union

"It has been a great experience due to the people I work with, and the versatility of my daily duties."

Pros

It's great to work here because they take care of you. Ex: They make sure if you had to stay late one day, you get to come in late the next day. If you want to take your 10 minute relaxing break apart from your 45 minute lunch, you can- or you can take them together. They are very family oriented and support each other and our military. They are always willing to help you if you are new or have any questions. Very professional, but relaxed.

Cons

The training is not very good in my opinion. You sit around and watch people to learn what a Credit Union is all about for about the first week. Then you observe whatever job you're trying for for a few days, then you're pretty much thrown to the wolves. The computer system is really easy to use, but you must make sure to follow every rule dealing with confidentiality and getting the correct info from each member for each transaction (it varies completely between mbrs). You will take a lot of computer tests when you first go in, so that you will know all the rules and regulations, so no need to worry. It is just all a very rushed process. Much too rushed.

Advice to Management

Try to help out new employees a bit more by actually having them be watched while they are using the system for the first time. Let them learn by doing- but with your supervision. It's not necessary to let them touch money at the very beginning, but it would be nice if you helped them with remembering what to document for each transaction, and how to properly get through each one for at least a week. After all- it is what they will be doing everyday for the rest of their stay with you :).

Other Employee Reviews for PENFED Credit Union

"A great financial institution that pays the members back for their savings."

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Dededo, GU
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Dededo, GU

I worked at PENFED Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low interest rates and great customer service. Tier programs are available according to your tax bracket. Membership open to military and family members as well as extended family and those who share the same household. Excellent car loan rates. Top notch employer sponsored savings program comparable with U.S. government jobs.

Cons

Unlike a bank, loans are not always easily accessible. They prevent you from borrowing more than you may be able to comfortably repay. Employment is mostly part time which no one can live on. I was criticized for coming in early and leaving late to make sales quotas as the time I was working was not paid time.

Advice to Management

Provide more training on financials so that the member service reps may better educate and sell financial products. Allow at home jobs to sell financials.

"Job security, supportive culture, and opportunities to grow with the company"

Current Employee - Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Job Security: No one gets laid off...ever.
    -Culture: Feels like there's a desire to work together and do the best for our members; compared to other FI's in the area, lots of flexibility (telecommuting/work from home, PT schedules) and support from the company (ex: company makes accommodations for folks with personal issues/needs).
    -Growth: Strong "promote from within" culture, most managers promoted up through the ranks, most hires are entry-level so they can learn the culture before promoting

Cons

-Salaries are average for financial services industry
    -Too much decision making consolidated in senior management
    -Most management positions are located in Virginia, not enough management-level jobs have moved outside of HQ
    -Could benefit from improved training for front-line staff

Advice to Management

Develop some better information distribution mechanisms and spend a little bit more money on your staff and I think you could be even better.