PKF International - Not bad for public accounting | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PKF International

"Not bad for public accounting"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at PKF International full-time

Pros

Lots of perks. Free parking, beverages, Wednesday breakfasts, lunches during busy seasons. Bonus for getting your CPA and all professional expenses covered. The best thing about the company is that it feels like a family. The firm does a lot of extra activities and events so it feels like a very social place.
Hard work and quality work is recognized. Seniors, managers, and directors will tell you when they are pleased so it is nice to know that you are not working anonymously.

Cons

Work/life balance is tough here. But I guess it's the same all over in public accounting. If you're doing this, you pretty much have to accept that you will have no life 6 months out of the year, and then maybe more than that. If you want to move up here you will have to do more than just put in your time, you really need to go the extra mile. And you will only be expected to give more of yourself if you want to move into management.
My major issue with the workload is that sometimes management is so project driven that one or two people will end up working 70+ hours while the rest of the staff are walking out the door at 4pm.
I'm still trying to decide if this is really where I want my career to go or not.
I'm still trying to decide whether this

Advice to Management

Promotions to management are rare because of turnover at the staff level. I think that the management of the firm needs to realize that it is indicative of a problem when they have to hire so many managers from outside the company.

Other Employee Reviews for PKF International

1. "Was a better place to work in the past, not so great in the present."

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

4 weeks vacation, catered lunches during busy season, free beverages, free parking and catered breakfast every Wednesday. Even though I've been dissatisfied overall for some time now, I still believe that the firm President has his employees' best interests in mind and just has issues with communicating that in an effective manner to the junior staff.

Cons

Over the last couple of years, there seems to have been a shift in the overall work environment and attitude in the office. I find much of the change in the tax department due to turnover, but can't really speak to the other departments. When experienced employees choose to leave they are typically not replaced, leaving the remaining employees to pick up the slack. Management's solution seems to be bringing on new hires every 6 - 9 months with little to no experience to bump up the overall head count but without addressing the issue of inexperience. This creates a stressful work environment for the remaining employees as we are often left without experienced staff/seniors to help out on the more complicated projects.
    Another frustration comes from the constant implementation of new processes or procedures that management doesn't follow or enforce. I feel it would help solidify the tax department if the people making the decisions and guiding the department were made to follow the same rules as the rest of us.

Advice to Management

When an employee leaves, hire someone to fill their position at the same level. Hold the higher-ups accountable for following their own rules. Open communication is key. At a departmental level I would rather feel connected to the decision maker(s), even if the issue/decision was not favorable to me, rather than be left wondering if management is even aware of the issue.

"My experience has been positive while working at PKF. I have been given challenging projects to work on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

The opportunities I have been given to learn have made this job challenging but rewarding. This is not a place for someone who cannot deal with pressure. Public accounting is that way, though. When I have needed to be off due to family or my own health circumstances, my manager has stepped in to take over. I love my coworkers.

Cons

I am not sure that there is a downside. Public accounting is hard and I know some of my coworkers gripe about it and don't like the hours but I do not see how PKF could change that.

Advice to Management

Keep trying and learning just like the rest of us are.