PMT Ambulance - PMT Ambulance, A Rural/Metro Company- Spiraling the drain | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PMT Ambulance

"PMT Ambulance, A Rural/Metro Company- Spiraling the drain"

Current Employee - EMT-B
Current Employee - EMT-B

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fantastic people working in the field.

-Awesome work schedule if you are lucky.

-Opens all kinds of doors for starting a career in the medical field.

-Great way to gain experience in Emergency Medicine.

Cons

-Company seems to hate its employees.

-Company tries to get rid of the employees after a year because they can replace them with new people they can pay less.

-Very little pay. ($9.60/hr for EMT-B)

-Crew quarters genuinely do not meet the basic needs of the employees.

-Ambulances are in a constant state of disrepair.

-Normally life-saving equipment is deemed "not necessary" by management.

-Unrealistic policies that change on a weekly basis without any notice to employees.

-Company belittles its workforce.

-No reward for hard work.

-No concern for employee safety.

-No concern for employee improvement. (Their solution is to terminate and hire somebody new.)

Advice to Management

Dear Management of PMT Ambulance and Rural/Metro Corp.,

Please stop thinking so highly of yourselves and start thinking highly of your employees. They are the reason you make record profits year after year. They are the shinning example of the company. Instead of giving yourselves quarterly raises and awards perhaps it would be more beneficial to forward some of those pieces of paper to the employees who make it all happen. Even acknowledging that you see the hard work they put into every day and sincerely thanking them would do wonders for moral.

I recently read that your credit rating was downgraded to negative. This is entirely your fault. The direction you have chosen for this family of companies is not working. Perhaps a restructuring of the management team is now necessary. For example: AMR is not doing well either, why do you think hiring former leadership from that company will benefit you? Is promoting a secretary to manage two whole 911 contracted cities really the best thing for the company? How is outsourcing paramedics a financially savvy move when you pay them three times the average salary of your own paramedics?

These are just a couple thoughts that I hope will get your gears turning. It is time to turn this company around and not only make it a decent place to work but make it beneficial to the community.

Other Employee Reviews for PMT Ambulance

"Great for gaining experience, but once you have it, start looking elsewhere."

Current Employee - Dispatch
    Current Employee - Dispatch

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job experience, on site Medic school for any EMTs who have been in the field for a year, and the fellow employees are awesome. With the exception of the dispatch/road crew divide that every EMS company has, everyone seems to have a great time with each other and be willing to help each other out in a pinch.

Cons

Employees are treated horribly by management. On the interfacility side, a 2 hour hold is mandatory, and seems to be taken advantage of to the extreme. Pay is lower than most other EMS companies of this size. Benefits are terrible. In dispatch specifically, raises have not been given in several years, nor have evaluations. Policies and procedures that are in place for road crews are held true in dispatch, even in cases where they make absolutely no sense. Dispatch also lacks an actual management team.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, and don't treat the ones you have like garbage. A 2 hour hold should only be used in extreme cases on the interfacility side, and not as an excuse to get 14 hours of work out of someone EVERY DAY. Raise pay and benefits to match that of our sister companies through Rural/Metro. We are one of their top 3 money makers, so it shouldn't be a problem to share so me of the profits with the employees who keep you in business.

2. "PMT brining up the rear"

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time

Pros

Working with the field crews is one of the two good reasons to work at PMT. The second being that I really do enjoy being a medic.

Cons

PMTs main focus is to continually line the pockets of upper management at the cost of its field crews. They would rather see us go without to save a buck.Field management is taught and rewarded for being unsupportive of the field crews and no one in management is willing to stand up. There is a lot of power being flexed again at the cost of the field crews ( examples being having us getting off later for fuel, changing SOP on a regular basis,) as punishment to all for one crews mistake. PMT does the least to keep us in regulation and often with broken or damaged equipment. PMT does nothing to improve the trucks we drive often putting us in less than ideal situations. Dispatch also has a, "thing," with playing favorites with no reguard to how it affects field crews. This often results in some field crews doing very little while the rest of us make up the slack.

FYI rural metro does not own the monopoly due to federal regulations on how much can be charged for anything we provide for the patients.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are only as good as those that choose to represent you and those of us in the field are who our clients, patients, and family members remember and be greatful by being appreciative of your field crews.