PNC Financial Services Group - Management styles focus on belittling employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

"Management styles focus on belittling employees"

Former Employee - Financial Services Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Financial Services Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros? If you want a job, they'll probably hire you if you can be bonded. Yes they offer benefits. If you are looking for some income while you look for decent employment elsewhere; they'll hire anyone and everyone.

Cons

This is for CSRs; specifically people seeking employment in the call centers. If you want to work for PNC you'd better negotiate your salary well in the first interview, because you will never get a raise. When you first start working for the company you'll encounter a lot of smoke and mirrors when you try to follow up on the touted 'opportunities for advancement'.

PNC tends to employ embittered management throughout the call centers and the majority of the managers I encountered can be pretty petty. They tend to pass quick judgement about their groups without doing any research about their employee's skills. I actually had a manager promise me that if I was "good' for a week, she'd teach me how to open word on the computer. I don't know why she thought I couldn't open word, or what she thought my skills were, but it was pretty disheartening since this was the woman who was supposed to help place me in the company.

The overall management style focuses on belittling, and I have had managers make up stories about customer complaints against me (one common trick is to pull up a form letter in word) just for an excuse to degrade me during the weekly one on one meetings they are forced to have with the employees. If you call HR with a concern about your treatment, your future is grim, and your environment will worsen. I made the mistake of doing that and had bullying managers follow me around the company demanding meetings to tell me how awful I was.

I found myself completely deprived of all self esteem by the time I left the company. When I worked there, I was constantly stressed and worried I'd loose my low paying job because the managers I'd worked for convinced me I was a useless person. If you want to work for this company, I'd suggest not taking anything your managers say to heart, that's what they want you to do, so you stay in the call center, which is a pretty awful job without all of the petty management techniques.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your management strategies. Fostering happy employees will get you a lot farther.

Other Employee Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

"I worked there for 5 years and by the end of my time with them, I felt unwanted and forgoten."

Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have 401k matching, pension, and 2 weeeks vacation starting out.

Cons

The bureacracy has become unbearable over the past few years as the bank has grown to one of the largest in the nation. Too much office politics and managers don't care about you as a person, just an employee. They want you to put work before everything else in your life. They say they care, but they really don't.

Advice to Management

Stop being such "company heads" and start using your own heads.

2. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Oshtemo, MI
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Oshtemo, MI

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay - High school diploma can still make close to 50K
    Chance for advancement- postings are often
    Postivie environmen/management- particular to my department (sales) management are well informed and transparent
    Pays for school
    Flexibility

Cons

Can be dogmatic.- like any job at a quarticle things can become redundant
    Banks must make money- the only way they do that is through fees.