PNC Financial Services Group - Advancement seems only possible by constantly changing jobs. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

"Advancement seems only possible by constantly changing jobs."

Current Employee - Fulfillment Analyst in Rocky Mount, NC
Current Employee - Fulfillment Analyst in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is actually a bank, as advertised.

Cons

PNC specializes in micromanagement and seemingly cares more about statistics than it does how things actually get done. PNC seems to be so big that many processes and procedures have become redundant and inefficient. Despite doing your job for years and glowing yearly reviews, you still need to account for how you spend your time each day, even when the employee is extremely efficient and work gets done ahead of schedule. Regardless of years of service, or knowledge and skills in your role, pay is not competitive, and a 1% to 1.5% pay increase does not fill employees with a sense of worth. The chair you sit in costs more than the pay increase you'll receive. The bank will cut costs you didn't even know it could cut, but pay seemingly increases at a snails pace. Those who get bonuses have decided that the rest of the employees do not, despite billion dollar profits each year.

Advice to Management

Sending employees mugs and pens throughout the year is great, but employees need money to pay their bills. Institute an incentive plan based on personal and business performance that gives employees something to work towards, and stay engaged.

Other Employee Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

1. "So far so good, but paycheck to paycheck -("

Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in New Hope, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in New Hope, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work enviroment, good team to work with, they will promote you if you work hard

Cons

LOW salary, hard to get salary increase, working part time get paid more per hr than full time. Benefits too expensive. Have to be in your position for a whole year to tarnsfer to a different branch or get promoted regardless of how good you are.

Advice to Management

pay your people more for what they are doing and let people move around judging buy their success not 1 year mark

"Management styles focus on belittling employees"

Former Employee - Financial Services Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros? If you want a job, they'll probably hire you if you can be bonded. Yes they offer benefits. If you are looking for some income while you look for decent employment elsewhere; they'll hire anyone and everyone.

Cons

This is for CSRs; specifically people seeking employment in the call centers. If you want to work for PNC you'd better negotiate your salary well in the first interview, because you will never get a raise. When you first start working for the company you'll encounter a lot of smoke and mirrors when you try to follow up on the touted 'opportunities for advancement'.

PNC tends to employ embittered management throughout the call centers and the majority of the managers I encountered can be pretty petty. They tend to pass quick judgement about their groups without doing any research about their employee's skills. I actually had a manager promise me that if I was "good' for a week, she'd teach me how to open word on the computer. I don't know why she thought I couldn't open word, or what she thought my skills were, but it was pretty disheartening since this was the woman who was supposed to help place me in the company.

The overall management style focuses on belittling, and I have had managers make up stories about customer complaints against me (one common trick is to pull up a form letter in word) just for an excuse to degrade me during the weekly one on one meetings they are forced to have with the employees. If you call HR with a concern about your treatment, your future is grim, and your environment will worsen. I made the mistake of doing that and had bullying managers follow me around the company demanding meetings to tell me how awful I was.

I found myself completely deprived of all self esteem by the time I left the company. When I worked there, I was constantly stressed and worried I'd loose my low paying job because the managers I'd worked for convinced me I was a useless person. If you want to work for this company, I'd suggest not taking anything your managers say to heart, that's what they want you to do, so you stay in the call center, which is a pretty awful job without all of the petty management techniques.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your management strategies. Fostering happy employees will get you a lot farther.