PNC Financial Services Group - Northwest suburb of Chicago** your experience depends on the branch & the manager | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

"Northwest suburb of Chicago** your experience depends on the branch & the manager"

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very customer service driven. In the retail segment, they used an outside company to survey customers. The surveying company randomly selected recent customers and called them to ask how their most recent experience was. Each Friday the results of the surveys were released. It was an exciting time and could help bring staff closer. Or depending on the branch and morale, it was a dreadful time. But, overall, I liked how focused PNC was on giving its customers/clients a great experience.
   I started with National City Bank and went through a conversion with PNC. I commend PNC for how smooth they made the employees experiences during this process.
   * With everything being said prior and with the cons I've listed, I still say that PNC is a good company to work for.

Cons

* Be careful of downsizing. I was with a previous bank when PNC bought it. Throughout the transformation and merging of the two banks, PNC "cleaned house", brought in new management (from out of state even) who didn't know the community. They forced everyone to get inside the corporate box and not all communities will fit inside. Big city ideals are not looked upon favorably in a smaller town. Many clients left during or shortly after the conversion.
  Also, PNC is NOT comparable or competitive on salaries. I had to take a 23% cut in pay. They gave me a small time frame to look for a higher position with pay more inline with what I was making. But, in my search, I found few positions available and the ones I found were too far of a drive. For me, driving over 100 miles a day round trip to keep my current pay was not feasible. So, I was forced to accept the cut in pay in order to have a job.
  Lastly, I transferred to a new branch and, sadly, that was the worst decision of my career I've ever made. I immediately felt out of place and began looking outside the company for a new job. I did make the attempt to fit in by talking with upper management, only to realize that they were in the clique. The branch was very High School mentality. It's truly unfortunate. I have never encountered such silliness in all my years of working. Honestly, if I were to review PNC solely on my experience at my last branch, I would say PNC=pretty nasty corporation. But, in all fairness, I won't.

Advice to Management

When employees make the effort to change a branch's dynamic, work with them or they will move on.

Other Employee Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

1. "Depends on your Manager"

Pros

It's a Good place to work

Cons

Depends on your branch /location

2. "PNC is a friendly environment with good work-life balance for employees."

Pros

Great work-life balance, which they emphasize. Everyone in the company I met was willing to talk and share their experience with me. PNC is a strong, well respected company.

Cons

Felt like a bit of a cog in the machine but that may be expected coming into such a big company. As an intern, some jobs were not significant but that is also not very surprising.