PPG - Solid company, great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PPG

"Solid company, great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People who work hard are given plenty of opportunities for advancement. Employees are generally treated very well and with a lot of respect. People who work here tend to stay for a long time, often their entire career - for good reason.

Cons

The corporate culture is very conservative, and PPG has a few of the same issues that other international companies face - business units can be pretty segmented.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging employee growth and development.

Other Employee Reviews for PPG

1. "R&D technician (contractor)"

Former Contractor - Lab Tech in Shelby, NC
    Former Contractor - Lab Tech in Shelby, NC

I worked at PPG as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nobody was willing to do anything(horrible morale) so I got to try my hand at several different areas and operate many different tools I would have otherwise never touched.

Cons

poor ethics-

I've repackaged competitors products and slapped stickers on it for the sake of shipping a sample and quoting a price on something we did not manufacture.

I was promised a raise if I got A, B, and C done only to be given a 6 month extension on the promised raise, then a 12 month extension, then a complete denial of ever offering a raise.

Exposure to chemicals without workers knowledge, calling them proprietary formulas. multiple instances of of lying to workers in regards to handled materials resulting in injury. No corrective action was taken, and workers couldn't fire workers comp because they would lose their pension.

Advice to Management

I had so many bosses, yet maybe I had none... I seriously still dont understand the hierarchy. Some people took advantage of this. Responsibility was kicked around like a soccer ball.

"You will hurt your career here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at PPG full-time

Pros

Decent benefits. Good pay. Stable employment

Cons

Many managers have been here forever-some its their first job and they will retire here. They can't wrap their head around any other ideas, thoughts or way of doing things. Very outdated IT infastructure. There's no org chart, and if you have a problem outside your department, you likely won't know who to call for help. Office politics are very high. Senior managers are often mean to employees because the company does not reprimand or fire people outright, so they get away with it. The business revolves around accounting and month-end. If you are not an accountant, you will be expected to be one. Since the company doesn't fire anyone, there's a lot of dead weight lingering in offices. Because department managers refuse to communicate, there's a lot of duplicate work. Louisville is the red headed step child of ppg. Corporate does not like this business unit.

Advice to Management

The secret of success is to be nice. It's really that simple.