PRP Wine - Have worked at PRP for many years, it's hard work but the rewards and perks are great. In many ways I am my own boss. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PRP Wine

"Have worked at PRP for many years, it's hard work but the rewards and perks are great. In many ways I am my own boss."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

Pros

Dynamic, open to new ideas, customer satisfaction is a top goal, great income and perk opportunites, in the wine business-fun product that I am proud of, flexible hours, nice people to work with, no ceiling on income (but also no floor)

Cons

long hours, especially in the beginning. production based income puts the pressure on me to perform (but also a great thing when I do well)

Advice to Management

Keep improving on computerization, more interesting wines, more creative ways to see clients, help me realize my potential, be encouraging without pushing too hard.

Other Employee Reviews for PRP Wine

"Overall PRP Wine is a fun place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Pros

The wine is great. We taste new arrivals regularly, there is a nice employee discount and plenty of opportunities to earn free wine.
    3 people in the office just won an ipad2 for hitting a sales target.
    Flexibility in scheduling.
    A fun atmosphere.
    Upward mobility is good.

Cons

Evenings and weekends are necessary.
    Performance based pay which is good at times.
    You use your own car for appointments, not a company car.

Advice to Management

A better computer system would be nice. It is hard to keep track of everything with the current system. Real time inventory would be nice as well.

"Working 60 hours per week ... and that's a slow week"

Former Employee - Wine Consultant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Wine Consultant in Orange, CA

Pros

It's an opportunity to sample some rather diverse wines that, on occasion, can be pretty top notch.

Cons

It's true: Plan to work about 60 to 65 hours a week to earn ... not enough to live on. The pay, totally commission based, is scary low. Weekends are a thing of the past; be prepared to work stretches of 50 days in a row without a day off. Even though the "Careers" portion of the company's website emphasizes schedule flexibility, that's not true at all. Cliques and ageism run rampant. Health benefits? Here's hoping your spouse's job has a workable health/dental/vision package; otherwise, you'll probably pay at least $400 a month for your medical coverage.

Advice to Management

Please consider implementing software for real-time inventory totals; having that would save plenty of headaches regarding stock available for wine consultants, retail staffers, and clients. Realize that it's drastically easier for individuals to purchase wine in some states than others, and that per-bottle prices need to be more competitive, with wine selections reflecting local palates.

With that, I'll say this: There's just not enough hours in a day to add every piece of advice I've already considered to management, which knows what it knows and is painfully reluctant to consider suggestions from staffers.