PSAV - Proceed With Caution. Your Location and Your Director are Everything | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PSAV

"Proceed With Caution. Your Location and Your Director are Everything"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Bonita Springs, FL
Former Employee - Assistant Director in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at PSAV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly top line technology, plenty of hands-on experience, plenty of freedom of movement in a big property. Schedule flexibility when your Director allows. You have the ability to impress outside clients and hotel staff and network on the job if you need an escape hatch.

It all depends on where you are assigned and who your director is. This can be the best job you've ever had or the worst. I experienced both. There's plenty of room for training and growth, but go to a major market that has a PSAV Branch Office and a big labor pool.

Cons

You are on your own as a location if you are not located in or near a major hotel market, or a geographic region which is not closely supported by a big PSAV labor pool and Branch Warehouse.

We were never adequately or fully staffed, even at a base level. This resulted in a 40 hour per week salary that never matched the hours I worked. We were asked to open a location in the middle of tourist and convention season and not lose money. We had terrible staffing choices by upper management. Constant turnover of our Technicians.

My boss worked 31 hours straight without sleep at one stretch. He expected the same of me. I tried to inform upper management of our problems and they were never addresssed.

My average day was 10 hours. A tough day would be 11-12, a brutal day (and there were quite a few) could go as long as 16 hours. I was only given two days off per week after providing a doctor's note that I was under too much stress and needed anti-anxiety medication to cope.

My Director responded by starting documentation to have me fired. I was cited for ordering a paper shredder, printing too much and using too much toner, and entering the wrong way into the underground parking garage, which has no access control like security gates. I tried to work things out, and I finally asked for a transfer out of the location I was assigned to. My Director and HR separated me (with unemployment eligibility) out of "concerns for my health and welfare."

Advice to Management

You have a responsibility to listen to Human Resources when an employee who wishes after all of this that I was still with the company, just at a different location. Sometimes transferring an employee is far better than separating with them. You can't use the example of Directors who have no life other than their work to be the baseline for employees who want and need a life outside of work in order to maintain their relationships, connections and sanity. The P and L is not the only thing that matters. Investigate things personally and thoroughly.

Other Employee Reviews for PSAV

"Every location is different. Your mileage may vary"

I have been working at PSAV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tons of opportunities to work with and meet amazing people (I worked with the Vice President several times)
    - Paid trips for training and certification (in locations that have rigging available)
    - Naturally around the holidays there are less corporate events, so vacation is easy to take around that time.
    - Global company allows you to move to a different state / major city and you can assume there's a PSAV location nearby.
    - If you're in a city with multiple locations, you can always try and pick up more hours at a different location if yours doesn't have enough.

Cons

- You are definitely treated as expendable. The hours can be 0 a week or 90, and when its 90 there's no sympathy. If you don't like it, they know they can find someone to take your spot. I suppose this is true to every company to an extent.
    - In my experience, a lot of the directors are under very strict and tight control over their budgets per event, and will grossly understaff sets and strikes to make sure they come in under-budget this means late nights and less than safe environments.
    - The director at my base location is the worst boss I've ever had at any job. I've reported them to upper management and HR multiple times and nothing has ever been done. Unless your location has been ran into the ground, they can replace you a lot easier than a director.
    - On the flip side of that, every other director at the several other locations in my city were amazing, and great to work with. So keep in mind while you're reading these reviews that everyone is going to have a different boss, and different experience.

Advice to Management

Everyone but my specific boss has always been great to me. I just wish more could be done to remove a terrible person from their job. Also please change the labor/profit ratio for bigger shows to allow for extra hands when necessary.

2. "A mixed bag"

Pros

The "boots on the ground" employees care. Good technology innovation.

Cons

Company information is not distributed effectively. Divisions do not work well together and are often pitted against one another.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Try to reduce the fear factor felt by so many employees. Reduce the amount of middle management. Encourage an "open door" atmosphere.