PSAV - Tons Of opportunity, if your willing to work hard | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PSAV

"Tons Of opportunity, if your willing to work hard"

Pros

Alot of career development opportunities. Promotes from within. encourages personal empowerment and ownership. a great environment for natural leaders to thrive.

Cons

long hours. inconsistent job duties.

Advice to Management

focus on the passion our employees have and why they are in the technology field in the first place.

Other Employee Reviews for PSAV

"Replaceable, Numbers focused"

I have been working at PSAV part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big company, plenty of staff rollover so not hard to move up the ladder. (If you're willing to forfeit a raise.)

If you're skilled enough, you can force their hand into calling you for a gig.

Cons

From a Part-time/As needed (8 years) perspective.

90% of the time you come in, you get no diagram, a sub-par list of gear and told to use your best judgement (Which gives management the opportunity to save face and throw you under the bus.)

If you are missing gear or pieces of the gear you are simply told to "Do the best you can do..."

Management is completely disconnected from labor and will cut corners to make their numbers. I've had to Run Audio, Moving Lights, Switch for Projection, and Switch for Record ALL BY MYSELF for a show. They lost that client yet the client requested me as a tech for another vendor.

Constantly being told I'm too expensive when my rate is $10/hr below their 2008 standards of pay email I was sent.

All full-time techs are severely mistreated. I've witnessed very talented techs being told that "You don't have to work here, we'll find someone else." after the techs would express safety and/or logistics concerns. They would also be told when they are allowed to take time off which is subject to change even after it's been approved and if the tech had a problem with it they would be told the former quote up above. If mistakes were made you were yelled at in front of the client and for all to see.

Full time techs are also not guaranteed 32 hours a week. I've seen them get 8-10 for three weeks straight and get to hear them stressing out over rent and bills for a job that should be fun and busy.

After being called in for a ballroom set which would be 2 guys (3 if you're lucky) for a 6-10 hour call, management would waltz into the ballroom before leaving and say "Oh yeah, you guys need to set 10 or so breakouts when you finish here."

If it's after 5 O'clock forget the management and/or sales dept. to have facetime with the client... It's all on you.

Have been asked to use my personal auto insurance when I was involved in a minor collision with a building. Considering that I was driving illegally because I had worked 20 hours straight prior to getting into the cab of the truck which I packed by myself top to bottom (24ft. truck, which I'm sure was close to overweight.) and was instructed to skip weigh stations.

When you train someone (When management asks you to.) you are training your cheaper replacement. I went from making $20,000/yr off of PSAV to $2,500/yr.

They start talented technicians at around $11-15/hr (Even in California, I've called) and they won't see a dollar over for 5+ years. You can make $11/hr delivering pizzas and I'm pretty sure this is a SKILLED LABOR industry. Their benefits package costs more than it does for me to pay for my own insurance so don't let them throw that in your face either.

Now saying all that, I know it's because local management is constantly under the gun by regional management and so on up the ladder. That's how they get talked to (I've been privy to walking in on these conference calls and here the absolute belittling undertones.) so then that attitude gets passed down. I COMPLETELY SYMPATHIZE with lower management and have padded my hours before so they could make their commission.

Advice to Management

Please ask yourself what you're worth and then treat your techs better, they are the reason you have the job you do. Your success depends on their success and they are currently not being treated that way. Right now the money you make is coming out of their pockets NOT the clients.

Employees should never be under the constant threat of replacement.

And if you're reading this post in disgust and not concern? Then fire yourself.

I'm writing this with the knowledge that you could potentially track me down, but after 8 years and diminishing gigs (Even though your clients absolutely love me and have proactively asked for a business card and sent care packages to my door) I believe this is a worthy wake up call.

"Showed their chauvinistic side within 2 days."

I have been working at PSAV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for the small amount of work involved.

Cons

Never able to get my system set up after being there for weeks. I also heard horrible stories and rumors from multiple coworkers. I was pulled aside and told to be "cognizant of my reputation" on my second day for laughing with a coworker of the opposite gender during training. I later found out I was ratted out on by a senior manager who seems to like said employee and only promotes males in the office regardless of seniority or experience. I requested training day after day and got told there was none and they didn't have time to train me.

Advice to Management

Promote some women... Only one female manager in sight is a huge red flag for a new female employee...