PSAV - PSAV continues to be a very positive environment for me | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PSAV

"PSAV continues to be a very positive environment for me"

I have been working at PSAV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Support from the executive level managers has been fantastic. Benefits and culture have been great for me, but it definitely depends on what region of the country you are in.

Cons

Even for salaried management, the required hours can be a roller coaster. Do your research regarding the size of the time at the hotel and what talents and skills are on-site.

Advice to Management

For properties located outside of large city markets, more work needs to be done to circle the wagons and make those staff members feel like a part of the larger picture.

Other Employee Reviews for PSAV

"PSAV is a company where hard work, determination, and self motivation is a survival skill not a trait that is reward."

Former Employee - Assistant Directto Event Technology
    Former Employee - Assistant Directto Event Technology

I worked at PSAV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I find there was NO professional or personal growth, life-work balance for property level management, over worked, under paid no corporate management or HR support.

Cons

No corporate management or HR support for property level management teams. No logistical support for regional properties.

Advice to Management

If they don't know then, then problem is worse than I thought!

"certain to collapse at some point"

I have been working at PSAV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Every region and location is different, and there are some good managers and techs out there. Despite the long hours, AV work can be tons of fun when it’s going well. So I imagine somewhere there are some locations that are well supported and have what they need to do the job right and the employees at those locations are happy. I've never been to one, but I suppose they could exist.

Cons

PSAV has no unique selling proposition, no specific benefits to offer clients to differentiate themselves. Instead, PSAV offers the highest prices in the industry, coupled with the most sub-par equipment and talent less technicians. It is a middle man business model and with just a bit of shopping around potential customers will quickly find they can get much better services for drastically better prices from any number of competitors who are not burdened with hotel contracts.

PSAV wins contracts by making offers to hotels that are so ridiculously in the hotel’s favor that the hotel has very little to lose by signing them. Winning as many of these contracts as possible is priority number one; no expense is spared and no terms are too outrageous. After these horrible contracts have been won, a management team is put in place (sometimes just one person), but they are not given the equipment, people, or tools they need to do the job properly – providing AV services for meetings and events. If you complain about this arrangement promises are usually made of new equipment and more staff and training programs etc, but these things never materialize. Then, when things go bad, that manager or management team that was never given what they needed to be successful in the first place will be blamed, and their careers will be in jeopardy. You see, there is a really thick layer of discombobulated corporate bureaucracy to insulate senior leadership from anything that doesn't go well, and the lower operational manager is always at fault for not following some policy they were never made aware of, or for not filling out some form that they had never been shown before. “It’s on the website” is usually the defense, as if simply publishing some instructions somewhere on some un-navigable intranet site with thousands of pages is all one needs to provide to managers for them to successfully run a location.

I have watch this cycle play itself out now with several colleagues. A few of them have been some of the hardest working and dedicated coworkers I've ever had, and their lives have been ruined by this process. It is completely demoralizing and soul crushing to watch.

I suppose the idea behind winning so many hotel agreements no matter how bad the terms was part of a strategy to create a monopoly within the industry that would look great to investors. Pretty much every major decision of the past few years was made to make to company look good to investors. So little was being put back into the business before the merger, before the buyout, and now it feels as though there is even less to work with. That’s too bad. The company is spread so far and so thin that from my perspective it seems destine to implode unless it gets a major infusion of capital. It seems unlikely that anyone is going to want to make that investment as long as the company is perpetually for sale.

I think it’s worth mentioning that I sincerely fear for my safety working for PSAV. AV can be dangerous stuff, particularly on big shows. I’ve sustained a few injures already, luckily nothing serious, but all of them could have been avoided if I had simply had enough people working with me. That’s how tight they are, trying to cut labor cost is the second biggest priority after signing bad contracts. Seriously, what type of company consistently has 300+ open positions on their website month after month in this job market? One you do not want to work for.

Advice to Management

64%of all US hotels now offer guest free internet. I hope your future business models include the rapid disappearance of this revenue stream. You’re kidding yourself if you think you can “educate the market”. It works the other way around.

I’ve been around senior leadership. They’re not bad people, but they are not the least bit curious about how anything works at the operational level. In my many year of running locations, not once has anyone above me ever asked me “what could we be doing to help you be more profitable at your location?” It’s always “you need to be doing this, you need to be doing that” almost always from someone who has never done my job or even curious about how I do it.

We have these little cards with 15 corporate values on them that we are supposed to keep in our pockets and carry around with us and talk about every day, things like honesty, integrity, etc. We should throw them out, and replace them with new cards that just say one thing: EBITDA