PSAV - Not just a job, but a career amplified! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PSAV

"Not just a job, but a career amplified!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

It is getting paid to work in an electronic toy box all day! Best in the industry! Great people to work with and the culture is infectious. Compensation is better than most audio visuals companies, great benefits and plenty of room for growth. They tend to promote from within so there is always a new opportunity around the corner. If I was to ever leave Swank Audio Visuals it would be to change industries because I can not see myself working in the audio visual industry for anyone else.

Cons

You will get consumed by the culture and work long hours by choice. Could be pro or con depending on view. There is a small window of time that you can take your vacation and a lot of people try to take theirs at the same time so scheduling time off is somewhat difficult. Stress can get the best of you if you let it because of tight deadlines and demanding customers.

Advice to Management

The management could consider looking at a new, updated, more intuitive procurement system for re-rents and purchases as the current system is very frustrating and "clunky" when it comes to searching for the term you need to fulfill a certain criteria. Currently you need to know the exact term you need for the search to work properly. With today's technology the process could be made much more simple and lessen the time spent in rewriting orders to get them right.

Other Employee Reviews for PSAV

"Good place to get basic AV skills, just don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Audio Visual Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Good foot in the door opportunity for AV industry. Most work in Hotels so very nice environment and accomodations. Most places free food & parking for full time employees.

Cons

Long hours. Inconsistent promotions and raises. Rude, mean management that treats most of the staff as slaves. Profit placed above professionalism. Will bring in outside technicians instead of cultivating thier existing talent. Quickly get you off hourly rate so they can work you 80 hours a week on "salary" which is low compared to the rest of the industry. People promoted into management position that they are not trained, qualified or even good at.

Advice to Management

If you would pay your top talent better they would stay. Put better measures in place to help control the massive turn over the company experiences.

"Don't expect a personal life with PSAV"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I was a Director for PSAV and I would have to say that it was great to have the support of the other directors in the region and for the most part support of my RVP.

Cons

It sounds like some of the people here have worked with some pretty horrible managers. I've always made a point to respect my employees and give them the days off they request because the job asks a lot of them. I'm guilty of scheduling my techs really late and realize that they will not have a night life, but then again it is what they signed up for and they have to understand the nature of our business. But at the same time, I've also worked nights and weekends so that these same employees can have their requested days off. As a Director, I had no personal life, worked at least 12hrs/day, when it was extremely business, it was not uncommon for me to be at the office at least 14 hrs a day. The techs may think that we are lazy and always do "paper work" but the truth is, the paper work does need to be done so they can get paid! We don't always have time to supervise on the floor because we have to look ahead and secure future business so that everyone will have a job. No business means no work! And a lot of the technicians are either lazy or complacent so they rarely go above and beyond. I know they work hard, but they also take advantage.

If you're a good Director who knows how to get the job done-over stretching yourself and giving up your personal life- and does not complain to your RVP, then you will be taken advantage of. Your RVP and upper management will think perhaps that you can handle everything without having to add additional staff or cut hours from your staff. No wonder folks are unhappy- the pay isn't great and you're going to cut hours! Even as mgmt, the pay wasn't great. I often thought how little I was being compensated for how much work I was doing and how much of my personal life I was giving up.

Advice to Management

Your employees at the bottom are the ones making the money for the company, at least pay them more than the living wage!