PSAV - Can take a long time to mov eup through management ranks | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PSAV

"Can take a long time to mov eup through management ranks"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

Wide varitey of technology and equipment to learn, even wider varitey of clients to serve. Once a manager, many opportunites for self-motivated employees to use their "entreprenurial spirit" to "take ownership" of the business decisions.

Cons

At the expense of work-life balance, it is difficult to maintain profitability with business model. Known fixed-expenses also make bonus-earning diffucult, and not much of an incentive. Occasionally, not earning your bonus is a perceived as poor-performance.

Advice to Management

Beginning at the RVP level, carreer development conversations need to take palce. Too many DETs neglect thier staff and by thier passive approach to staff development and desire to maintain the status-quo, more people leave from boredom than from advancement.

Other Employee Reviews for PSAV

"My job was best case scenario, and I still rate the company 1 out of 5"

Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II
    Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II

Pros

Can transfer anywhere in the country.

Cons

Underpaid, it is very difficult to get a decent raise with this company. They finally offered me a significant raise when I put in my two weeks, by then it was too little, too late. At all the large properties in the region employees are forced to work crazy hours, lots of overtime when it is busy, no hours at all when it is slow; yet they still consider them full-time.

I worked at a smaller property, had a great Director, had great hours, and was treated well at my property. BUT being at a small property their is nowhere to go career-wise if I were to have moved up with the company I would have been forced to work at a larger property in the region. Every large property in my region is a nightmare (see above)! So what is one supposed to do? Move up and sacrafice your life to a horrible paying job that you are not even proud of? Or simply move on.........the choice was easy for me.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate everything you do. PSAV does not retain good employees because they are too cheap, so most properties are constantly hiring and re-training. Training someone from the ground up who is less efficient than a good tech is very costly, in more ways than management realizes. The corporate structure of the company is a mess; to get a simple question answered can take a half dozen emails and a solid week. No one claims responsibility, or is willing to go outside of their basic job description because they simply don't care.

The Hotel AV industry is depressing enough as it is, the least you could do is compensate your employees well and allow more room for advancement. I wish nothiong but the worst for this company, they represent everytning I hate about corporate America.

2. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Driver/Technician
    Current Employee - Driver/Technician

Pros

It's very nice to work for the largest provider of audiovisual services in the world. There are numerous opportunities for professional development, both horizontally and vertically. Hotel Services Division has its areas of growth as technicians, sales people, or management. Event Services has the same opportunities, but the events take places at different venues, in contrast to working at only one specific property as in the case of the hotels. National Operations offers the opportunity to travel throughout the country setting up and operating events. Additionally, there are opportunities to go into installation, design, and other types specialties.

Cons

In my area, there seems to be deficits in the process of communicating relevant information on day-to-day operations. Also, because of the general economic problems of the past three years, many perks and benefits have been reduced, suspended, or eliminated.

Advice to Management

Be more open and honest with employees, instead of trying to sugar-coat or ignore negative issues that we have to face as a company. Decrease the apparent need to accentuate the negative in the employee annual review process. This seems to be necessary in order to keep from having to give hourly employees raises that are consistent with cost of living increases. What that does is promotes an adversarial environment between management and hourly employees, decreases employee loyalty, and causes good talent to seek employment with our competitors.