Pacific Gas and Electric - Exciting work if you can stomach continual reorganizations | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

"Exciting work if you can stomach continual reorganizations"

Former Contractor - Customer Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Contractor - Customer Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance (literally 9 to 5) for good pay
It's a great career-builder to work here if you're interested in energy / cleantech / climate
Everyone is super, super nice and acts like family
Lots of opportunity to learn, move around, and advance your career
PG&E is one of the most progressive IOUs with lots of really exciting projects in renewables, storage, demand response, EVs, etc. etc.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations. I found the constant anxiety that you could be laid off / lose your job to be very wearing. It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management. It also felt like there were a lot of disconnects between upper management and folks in the field.
I struggled a lot to find a different position within the company. My perception (which may or may not be reality) is that jobs are often opened with a specific candidate already in mind. It's more like working for a government agency than not.
I also didn't love the culture (it felt very fear-based to me) but have friends who really thrive in it. It probably just wasn't a good fit for me.
On a different note, PG&E is not terribly beloved in the Bay Area. I found it tricky to read negative articles about my company every week in the Chronicle.

Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

"Great benefits & people"

Current Employee - Director's Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director's Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing! You get a pension, matching 401k, 80 hrs a year of sick pay and much more. I have PPO medical, dental and vision and only $56 a month. Everyone I have met is so nice and easy to work with. There is also lots of room to grow and move around within the company if you so desired.

Cons

Lots of work. I have worked late many nights and i have been here less than a year. But this is relative to who your director is and what your director wants from you.

"Lack of integrity"

Pros

Good Pay.
    Better than average benefits.

Cons

The company is eager to back management even when faced with concrete evidence.
    Workplace violence is not taken seriously.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers, they may save you from safety issues and prevent violations.