Pacific Gas and Electric - Always work if you want to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

"Always work if you want to work"

Current Employee - Line Department in Over-The-Rhine, OH
Current Employee - Line Department in Over-The-Rhine, OH

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can go anywhere in Northern California and do pretty much any job and make enough money if not way more depending on how much you work to take care of your family.

Cons

Smile and wave all the time.

Advice to Management

HIre younger guys to manage

Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

1. "Pros slightly tip the scale.."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k AND pension plan, unbeatable health benefits, and some departments offer flex schedule (9-80,4-10). If under union contract, 2 pay raises and a bonus. Very steady and predictable

Cons

Extended periods of intense stress, juggling too many different projects of different technologies under different PMs, required to be overnight subject matter experts with little or no training, and although you are not required to work OT - you might as well sign your own gravestone if you don't. You will be thrown into the deep end and you will not be taught to swim.

Advice to Management

Provide training and resources.

"Lots of Hype, Little Substance"

Current Employee - Ccsa in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Ccsa in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits and decent pay. Although their hiring contractors in at what I'm making after 7 years with company. Lots of pep talks, staff meetings and online propaganda to "inform" us about what's going on in the company. PG&E is great at community outreach and volunteer efforts. They do invest a great deal of money and time on the PG&E image. We do so want our customers to like us.

Cons

The nepotism and favoritism are rampant at this company. Especially at the locations that are far enough away from Corporate headquarters that they are not managed or monitored on a regular basis (example: Technology Service Center in Sacramento). You will never get ahead unless your related to someone with clout who will plead your case, or if you are very good at being a suck-up. Hard work really doesn't matter much. It's all about being a Peacock. He who has the brightest feathers and squawks the loudest gets the recognition.

Upward mobility for phone analysts is much more difficult in these "rural" areas, especially in the call centers since there is no where to go. All the management spots are already filled with the directors buddies, so your only option is "Team Lead" (which is already filled with the supervisors "yes" boys). So, you're pretty much stuck in a "go nowhere" position until someone quits, gets fired or dies..

I feel sorry for the women in my department. Out of about 90 employees, only about 8 of them are female (including our admin). They seem to do most of their hiring right out of the IT Community colleges and most look like me (young, white and male). If you're older, female or handicapped, your chances of getting hired for an Information Technology position in the Sacramento area are pretty slim. PG&E likes to tout "Diversity this, and Inclusion that" but in all my years here I have never once seen a person with a physical or mental handicap get hired by this company. Women are seldom selected to go out on rotational jobs, nor are they promoted or supported by management in this particular location.

If I could spend more time doing my job, and less time jumping through hoops, attending useless trainings, preparing for, editing, planning and discussing my performance appraisals, the job would be a lot less stressful. I spend the majority of my time convincing management that I'm worthy of employment. If they weren't so busy doing the same thing, they would probably be well aware of what i do on a daily basis and time spent on these constant evaluations would not be necessary. Evaluations once a year should be sufficient.

Advice to Management

Rate employees on their job performance and not how you "feel" about them. Stop perpetuating the "Ol' Boys" network and let some fresh blood in positions of authority (especially in IT).