Pacific Gas and Electric - Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

"Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be"

Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA
Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Last year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

Cons

Continuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

Advice to Management

My group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

"Good work & great people, but highly political organization"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and challenges to tackle are tremendous. You get to work at a scale that's hard to match. There are great groups and organizations. Training, pay and work-life balance are hard to beat.

Cons

There's just a tremendous amount of bureaucracy to make things happen. The organization excels at getting in its own way with continual reorgs and shifting priorities coming down from middle management.

Advice to Management

If you really want to deliver a great customer experience, invest in our systems and put the right resources in place to deliver exceptional products and services.

"so much potential, paralyzed by politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

recession-proof business; interesting changes in the sector (smartgrid etc); industry's aging workforce means many entry level opportunities; unions for all field and skilled labor; good benefits for all full time employees; good perqs and bonus structure for management (non-union)

Cons

complicity & passivity pervade management & corp services; field techs & customer service are better as they are on the front lines but the overall culture suffers badly from a regulatory environment that guarantees profit and quasi-monopoly. all competition then, instead of to earn market share, is internal and political, creating a myopic focus on the shareholder and the regulator at the expense of the ratepayer; borderline corrupt in places

Advice to Management

volunteer to cede all program management back to the state for open bidding and focus on managing and maintaining assets ("back to pipes & wires")