Pacific Life - great place to work | Glassdoor

"great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work life balance
- Friendly work staff and management

Cons

- limited growth and slow pace

Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Life

"If you can lie, you can me in management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits Package and location of the Home Office. If you land in the right area of the company, you could really like it there. The on-site cafeteria is great and so convenient if you're one that likes to stay in the building for breakfast/lunch, or grab a quick meal and eat at your desk to work through lunch.

Cons

I cannot say that the following is true for the entire company, however, there is one area of the company, based on my experience, that this this is exactly how it is.

I was with this company for many years and watched it go from a fantastic place to work, to a nightmare. As one reviewer has stated, it has turned into a widget counting organization. The management team does not merely bend the truth about production but completely lies about it. It doesn't matter what the truth is, only the "perception" of the truth. I would sit with my jaw dropped open at some of the claims they would make that were so untrue. They are really heavy in middle management, although, I guess they'd have to be, based on the number of these individuals that walk around doing nothing more than spying on the employees there. Yes, spying. One VP bragged about having "moles" on the floor that report back to her on every little thing that goes on. You are watched on a continual basis and questioned on every move you make. Every move.

It's true that if you are an individual that questions anything, you will end up with a target on your back! HR is not interested in anything that is going on in the company, after all, their job is to protect the company, not the employees. They claim to want to know what's going on, but after you meet with them, you will be treated as a "problem" and your life will become even more of a living hell there...even though you're the one being mistreated! I've known people that have gone through this and ended up calling in an attorney to accompany them to their next HR meeting, sad that this is even necessary. The common goal should be to work in a fairly harmonious environment.

This is a company that is doing extremely well, but continues to layoff people for no other reason than corporate greed. It would be understandable if the layoffs were to stave off monetary issues or the fear thereof. However, that is not the case. Do the research, you'll see how well they do, year after year.

Advice to Management

Promote people based on their skills and expertise, not their ability to say what you want to hear. If you got rid of the dead weight of heavy middle management, you could actually keep the "worker bees" working, instead of driving them to the ground with an extremely demanding workload.

"I would not recommend ever working in the Annuities Division!"

Current Employee - Senior Annuity Product Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Annuity Product Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO and ability to purchase additional PTO

Cons

Micro-managed, Senior Management has no clue, raises are a joke and supervisors who do not know what you do have input in deciding what your raise will be-over your own supervisor. No possibility for promotion, they just add duties to senior employees without a raise or promotion opprotunity.

Advice to Management

Senior Management really should pay closer attention to the survey they sent out this last year and take into serious consideration what feedback they received. Changing the occurance policy is only the first step to keeping qualified senior employees and to reduce the turnover. Who would want to stay with a company that doesn't reward long term employees or promote qualified candidates. They talk about values but then do not back them up. Don't forget how important Customer Service is to the company, we are treated like the red-headed step child of the company especially the Omaha office.