Pacific Lutheran University - Great position for a student | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Lutheran University

"Great position for a student"

Former Employee - Peer Tutor in Tacoma, WA
Former Employee - Peer Tutor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Pacific Lutheran University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a peer tutor for the Academic Assistance Center at Pacific Lutheran University was a great student job. The hours are flexible and the bosses are kind. I found that tutoring others helped in my own studies.

Cons

Sometimes it could be very quiet in the office, especially when no students were signed up for tutoring hours. In this case, tutors were supposed to help with administrative tasks, but if you worked outside normal office hours this wasn't entirely applicable, leading to a lot of down time.

Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Lutheran University

"Great Place for People in the Majority"

Former Employee - Resident Director
    Former Employee - Resident Director

I worked at Pacific Lutheran University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved some of the colleagues I got to work with. The students were also phenomenal.

Cons

HR is there to protect the employer, not the employee. There is no commitment on HR's part to assist staff in progressing either in position, or financially. In addition, some of the institutional leadership exercises their privilege and power in terrible ways, allowing for good people to leave the university regularly. This is not a place that I would recommend working because unless you are in the "in crowd" it is a living hell.

Advice to Management

Support entry-level staff in seeking out professional development opportunities. Listen to entry-level staff when they tell you something isn't working. Time put in at the institution does not necessarily equal value to the organization,and in fact, the demographic of people the institution naturally supports is not the diverse, equality-minded base you seek.

2. "Cafe and Market Barista"

Former Employee - Barista in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Barista in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Pacific Lutheran University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours and great barista experience that can be used later in life. Free coffee is also a huge plus! Also you get to meet quite a few people you may have never interacted before with on campus.

Cons

Management sometimes expects too much from employees when it comes to scheduling. They consider working there as an exclusive club and are resistant to hiring more workers to aid scheduling burdens.
    There are also some workers who do not take their job seriously, thus increasing the burden on those who do.

Advice to Management

Be more sensitive to your workers' need when it comes to scheduling.
    In addition, work on recognizing the those who consistently work hard and be mindful of those who are taking the position for granted.