Palantir Technologies - Best place to learn and improve yourself | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies

"Best place to learn and improve yourself"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Software Developer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

This is one of the best place to meet extremely talented peers, and you will always be challenged to do great things. Teams are small and there's plenty of innovation going on. It's a great learning experience.

Cons

Palantir is not really a start up anymore.

Other Employee Reviews for Palantir Technologies

"Hard but both deeply rewarding and highly formative"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. After some time working at Palantir you realize that actually almost everything important in the world (I am not just talking about terrorism or the various philanthropy projects here, but also the banking system, how we obtain and use energy, and even things like the media) are operating in grossly deficient ways, essentially because of the diversity of their data, and how hard it is to combine and manipulate in sane ways. Nowhere else gives you access to all of these things at once, and this means that you are in a unique position: able to both work on these problems in the specific cases (which is very rewarding, at least to me), and also able to go further and contribute to what general solutions look might look like in the future. We make mistakes in all areas of this all the time (from customer engagements that don't work out, to product mistakes, and everything in between) but this is the challenge that you get to work on here. For me, when I see these organizations forced to do their work based on guesses and stale information, considering their importance to society (both in terms of downside risk but also upside potential) I feel a high sense of urgency to help, and Palantir gives me agency to do that.

2. Related to (1), because we are all contributing to an emerging product story for solving real data integration problems, it is actually possible for a team of five people to land at a Fortune 50 company or a government department and realistically create a significant, lasting improvement to the way they operate by building on what we have already created. I don't think I could have done the things I have done without this. It would be too technically challenging in the timeline (for the number of people) and frankly also too hard to figure out what to do without the lessons learned elsewhere.

3. Despite (2), the small teams we operate in mean that you are regularly facing challenges that are both almost too hard for you, and in which success is critical. This creates an environment where real, unexpected, drastic personal growth can happen. We don't have promotions or set growth paths or anything like that, and this can be a challenge (which I will discuss further below) but on the other hand, if you know what your growth path is going to be in advance, you are by definition not doing something novel. I would rather achieve faster growth by making sure the fundamentals are there (very hard things to do, and a real need to succeed at them) than by following the well-trodden path. I think that in following defined growth paths I would be trading off the speed of the growth for the comfort of knowing what is coming up. If you want to do this then fine, but I don't.

4. Because to work here and be happy here you need to be hungry for the above (if you are not then your life will be miserable), the people that do exist at Palantir are generally excellent to be around, in ways that are hard to exhaustively cover. I will say that I have met some of the most inspiring people, the people that challenged me the most, and the people that I trust most in execution at Palantir. Beyond this I have honestly made some of the best friends of my life here too, because our hiring is a strong filter and then our lives consist of a shared struggle against adversity. This often forges deep bonds.

Cons

I love being a part of Palantir... nevertheless here's an honest attempt at outlining some cons:

1. Working here is also a constant struggle. Everything is broken all the time because (as I mentioned above talking about growth) we are constantly doing things that are almost too hard for us (for now). This manifests at many levels. We are trying to overcome significant engineering challenges where it is not clear up front the best way to do something, and a lot of what we build is wrong the first time (and probably the second time too) while we're working out what works. This is a symptom of the severity of the challenge, but it can also be demoralizing. This is also the first time we have operated as a 2000 person company (and when we were a 1900 person company we were operating as that for the first time too). We are constantly learning the hard way how to do things in a way that works at new sizes of organization and with new sizes of problems. Working here requires a willingness to fail and a willingness to tolerate the failure of others (and to be constructive with both yourself and others around failure).

2. Growth at Palantir happens (as above) through experiences of attempting unbelievably difficult things with support that, while large, is still lacking in the face of the new challenge. These experiences happen somewhat frequently, but between them there isn't a set course for incremental improvement. This can mean that there is a sensation of not knowing how to grow at Palantir. In fact, not just a sensation -- we often do not actually know specifically how to grow at a given time. Doing hard things that multiplicatively grow you in short bursts is the only real way to grow at Palantir. But this requires a certain level of faith that you will succeed in seeking the next one of these moments, and the ability to hold that wider perspective in the face of what might seem right now like limited-to-no growth.

3. Day-to-day life is full of pain. Jetlag, customer IT departments that don't operate how we would like, a volume and urgency of work that often goes way beyond what a typical software engineer is facing. Failing again at the thing you are attempting. Stress, tiredness, frustration, and standing in an immigration line at the border of a country you were last in the previous week. One time I had to get my coworker on the same flight to AirDrop me a jar file I didn't have so I could compile this thing when the plane didn't have internet. If you come here I think you must come here for the thing we are working toward, not the sensation of doing it. Having said this, the people, the sensation of success when you achieve it, and the growth you can see in yourself when you look back over a year or more are all wonderful... just be prepared for the pain in between these things.

"Analyst"

Pros

Snacks are free, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes it's a demanding work environment

Advice to Management

Get clear career paths