Palantir Technologies - Palantir is the absolute hardest, and most rewarding job I've ever had | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Palantir Technologies

"Palantir is the absolute hardest, and most rewarding job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my nearly two years with Palantir, I'm certain that I've had a much bigger outcome on the impact I worked in government for seven years to affect: A government making better decisions driven by better information. It sounds cheesy, it's at times a slow and hard fought battle but we're actually winning it. If you've ever worked with the government you know what a huge accomplishment that is.

I am also extraordinarily lucky to work with the highest integrity, smartest people I've ever known. Working a campaign in 2006 I thought I had worked with the most capable, tight knit, well motivated team I would have the fortune to work with. Only Palantir has topped that experience.

Even if you forget both of the above reasons to work for the company - which are by far the best reasons to work here - they treat us extremely well. It's not just the big decisions like compensation and benefits, but also hundreds of small decisions where an ordinary company would optimize on keeping things simpler or spending less money, and it's clear that Palantir as a company prefers in each case to actually make my life easier and more productive, even if it means spending more money.

Cons

The work - both in volume and in degree of difficulty - is intense. Not only are we always trying to make something improbable happen with government customers in Silicon Valley timelines, but we're on the hook for the quality of that work in a big way. Making this all come together is definitely the most challenging professional experience of my life, and one that I have not always gotten right.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on making everything we've done so far work at greater scale.

Other Employee Reviews for Palantir Technologies

"Fast paced, high learning, self directed environment where we solve real world problems."

Current Employee - Mission Specialist in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Mission Specialist in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flat hierarchy with an emphasis on personal ownership. At Palantir, I can honestly say that I have never been "managed." Leadership is there to guide you and help you when you need it, but not manage you. This helps you gain a huge amount of personal ownership over your projects which is encouraged. Employees are encouraged to make critical decisions in the field and supported by leadership.

-Meritocracy. You are only as successful as you make yourself. You are judged on your outputs and not your inputs. While this is a norm and maybe an expectation in Silicon Valley, its nearly unheard of on the East Coast.

-No BS. BS in any form is discouraged. From our no politics philosophy to the idea of only having meetings when absolutely necessary, we live and breath a minimal BS culture.

-Transparency. Leadership will answer ANY question you have and not only that but they will do it in front of the entire company.

-Make my own schedule. This is important to me as I have a family to worry about and a personal life to manage. As long as I excel and keep performing, no one seems to mind how I manage my time.

-The People. This is the biggest differentiator about Palantir. Everyone at Palantir is smart, friendly, unique and generally awesome. I know that I could ask anyone to help me with my work and not only would they step up they'd do just a good a job as I could. This is super rare in a company.

-Solving real problems. Being able to quantify the real world results of our work is amazing and it happens daily at Palantir.

-Fantastic benefits. If you are from the east coast, no one can beat the benefits.

Cons

-Massive Growth. This is awesome and also the source of most of our problems at the same time. We often don't scale our processes until we realize they are broken. This includes managing people, structuring teams, trying to communicate across teams, etc. The transfer of organizational knowledge has been the toughest problem to hack IMO.

-Recruiting. Its none stop and a huge time sink. I know its worth it and we need it to not only survive, but to maintain the pros listed above, but it can be draining at times.

-Salary. If you are east coast, this will probably be less than you make now. Regardless, the intangible benefits, unlimited leave policy and stock options more than make up for this. The other job offer I was considering before coming to Palantir was $55k more than what I make at Palantir. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad I took my job at Palantir, but it would be nice sometimes to be a little more comfortable money wise.

Advice to Management

Try to proactively fight the growth issues as much as you can. I've had numerous conversations with leadership about this, but its a super hard problem and I know they are working full time to handle it. My major concern is keep our culture while allowing this growth.

"Fun, friendly, fulfilling, high expectations."

Former Intern - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very fun atmosphere and people. Lots of exciting events and weekly traditions (pizza night, ultimate frisbee, Halo, etc.)
    - People are mostly friendly, happy to see you.
    - Great mission that everyone's working for.
    - Everyone is super willing to help you out if you have a problem. I would IM people I'd never met but whose names I found on the Wiki and they would answer my questions right away.
    - They don't waist your time with administrative stuff.

Cons

- Very high expectations. People often work long/hard hours. People seemed to be a little fearful of keeping their jobs.
    - The older engineers were hard to approach in person, didn't seem interested in making friendships (at least with interns). I often felt like they thought I was wasting their time and that my questions were dumb.
    - There's an attitude that some may find to be "elitist" that most of the employees and executives often give off.
    - Some, if not many, engineers didn't seem super enthused about the mission. Some seemed to just be there because it was a job, or because it was fun.

Advice to Management

- Limit the amount of times you say "we're the best." Don't say/imply that you're perfect. You have your flaws and difficulties (mostly code-based) like every company does.
    - Be more approachable. Don't always be in a hurry everywhere.