Employee Review

Current Employee

great people work here

Apr 8, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent community, surrounded by intelligent hard working people committed to academic publishing. Great location, good reputation, room to move up, supportive services, working with strong authors.

Cons

The recent merger with Springer has caused a bit of unsettlement, with new systems being introduced, but also provided new opportunities. Lots of turnaround, which seems common in the industry, workload can be quite intense, but also interesting.

2 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 4.0
    Former Employee

Nice place to learn

Nov 5, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everybody is very smart and willing to help share their input on various projects

Cons

industry is a little shaky right now

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee

A sinking ship

Aug 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work here are wonderful. Truly all of my colleagues are smart, thoughtful, hardworking people. Each and every one of them deserve so much better.

Cons

Literally everything else. Since the merger with Springer, the Palgrave brand has been in a slow decline. The company does not care about the authors, the books, or the employees--they only care about profit. There is a massive effort to cut costs wherever they can, often at the expense of our books/authors. Further, everything is being outsourced these days if it possibly can be. The "editorial assistant" role is slowly being phased out, meaning that there is little to no support for editors--who, on top of having outrageous signing targets, are now bogged down with administrative work that in a traditional setting is handled by EAs. There is 0 room for upward mobility. The company does not prioritize promoting people from within or even helping with career development, despite having many highly qualified assistant/associate editors who would love to further their career. The workload is impossible and the pay is abysmal. We offer basically 0 author services anymore and the quality of production has gone massively downhill, which is embarrassing and frustrating. How do I explain to authors why we cannot send review copies, why we cannot market their books, why we no longer have a cover design team, why basic spelling mistakes are not being caught by copyediting? Springer basically wants to automate everything. They treat book publishing like a robotic endeavor with no room for individuality or nuance. Rather than caring about each individual book, all they care about is churning out content like sausages regardless of it is any good. I honestly cannot think of a single good thing about working here and unless you want to be driven absolutely mad by a nonsensical corporate agenda, I highly advise you stay away.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Palgrave Macmillan.