Panda Express - Environment | Glassdoor

"Environment"

Former Employee - Management in Rosemead, CA
Former Employee - Management in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture of People Development. Many classes and opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Culture. Anything over done is just that - over done. Many of the classes, while not "mandatory" are MANDATORY. The CEO gets overly involved in people's personal lives and in a judgmental manner. If one is not ready to do EXACTLY as told, this is not the place for you. For those who need or want an almost cult-like environment - you've found the right place.

Advice to Management

If you really care about people's development, there has to be an environment with no fear. Where people can develop in more than the one way dictated by Panda. This is said to be acknowledged but is not. Be honest with your employees. Have the integrity you ask of them.

Other Employee Reviews for Panda Express

1. "Hard cleaning"

Former Employee - Lead Counter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Counter in Houston, TX

I worked at Panda Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Culture nice management good expierence

Cons

hard work alot of cleaning and detail oriented

"pros < cons"

Former Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Panda Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, above ave. pay above general manager and free meal while at work ( to go leftovers which is against comp policy but no one cares. up to gm because acos are at home taking naps at 10 pm anyway)

Cons

Highly political company culture, NO work life balance above store manager position, some corrupted ACOs, gossip and back stubbing among store managers, people hating the job and only surviving (getting by) everyday because they think there is no equivalent jobs out there, "nearly" mandatory self improvement classes at your own expenses and time, superficial slogans, etc

Advice to Management

Be real. Far away from fortune 500 type of employment.

Assuming managers to carry their own insurance to deliver catering orders in their personal vehicles without proper food warming equipment. Issues about that is managers pay insurance gas and depreciation of their own vehicle for this company and get no reimbursements. Also, food with less than acceptable temp at the point of delivery is violating health codes because once accepting delivery company is responsible for that at the point of delivery. Things like that I dont know if top management does not realize or stingy about doing it right. If they want to grow as they claim, food safety can be the worst obstacle to their goal because they are in food business correct? When it comes to company values of win-win, where is it for managers and clients? Do it right. If I go in detail I will need 2000 papers so here is the brief list.

Reimburse part of cellphone bills for managers. They use it at work.

Stop pressing on self improvement classes. If you do pay for it. If not increase credit. If not pay for the time spent for this "company suggested classes." No judgement for refusing to take them because they should not be mandatory.

Corrupted upper managements. I have seen sexual harassment around me. Highly political HR made him survive in the company for a while. No black and white. Very grey. HR protects company benefits but there is no checks and balances in this company.

Superficial company slogans. New way of being. No one believes it. Dont sugar coat that. Dont brain wash managers into company goals. What it is trying to achieve is "live your life for this company both personal and work so panda will succeed." No one cares. Make it feel like everyones are part of it.

No holiday. no paid holidays. some forced to work on thanks giving and christmas.

i can go on but dont wanna waste my time. long way to go guys. thanks for the opportunity. Founders are great people and I love their care but people in between corrupted the whole thing I think or they did not see things at lower management level.