Pandora Media - Love my job | Glassdoor

"Love my job"

I have been working at Pandora Media full-time

Pros

- Culture (company groups for photography, ping pong, NERF, crock pot classes, volleyball, soccer, women in business etc)
- People - Most everyone is so nice and cool and interesting. All hard workers
- Amazing product that you're proud to represent
- Starting to innovate more and have more interesting user/artist-focused ideas come to market

Cons

- Management on certain teams is very political
- Since we're growing very fast, some sectors are hiring too quickly without enough input from all members on teams

Advice to Management

- Allow more people to interview candidate when interviewing
- Focus on your staff instead of managing upwards
- Stay on toes with competition

Other Employee Reviews for Pandora Media

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Pandora Media full-time

Pros

One of the best places I've worked for. They really care for their employes and there are a lot of opportunities to grow with the company. A fun place with lots of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Can't really think of one.

Advice to Management

Keep managing like a startup environment.

"Nice people, awkward 'work' environment..."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Pandora Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The stated values of the company are great: create a way for musicians to make a living outside the recording industry's boom or bust system, and provide a good work life balance for your employees. They also do lots of work to boost arts education in Oakland Public Schools.

Cons

They were kind of creepy about wanting to know who my friends were, and left me hanging in a very awkward position with a former coworker they pressured me into trying to recruit.

They made it very clear from the beginning that it's not a good idea to raise any concerns or be critical in any way, so I eventually became afraid that all the problems I was seeing were just inside me.

Image-related paranoia is very high here, weirdly. I totally understand the value of working under an NDA to protect technology and business plans and such, especially when your competition are big mean sharks, but it goes further than that at Pandora, even asking employees to refrain from talking to their spouses and significant others about having 'a bad day at work' because that might cast negativity on the company that could spread uncontrollably. I kid you not - this is actually what they told us during orientation.

I could not tell if I was working with good-hearted and otherwise competent people who were just unprepared for the changes the company was going through, or if I had gotten mixed up in some kind of entertainment/advertising industry sponsored experiment in psychological manipulation (or torture). At any rate, I came out the other end completely messed up in the head.