Panera Bread - Changes are not always good ones | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

"Changes are not always good ones"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Little Rock, AR
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Great benefits.

Cons

Managers get moved around too much. Inconsistent work hours. Hard to have life outside of work

Advice to Management

None

Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread

"Not something I'd like to do again"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The "corporate culture" seems very positive. The ideas of being green, and the ideals that they say they expect stores to live by.

Cons

Upper management doesn't do what the corporate culture dictates. One of the cultural values is "No Jerks," but most upper management treats associates and lower level managers like they are nothing. Every year a "Warmth Survey" is completed by all managers and employees, and even though it's supposed to be anonymous, the managers all guess what is said by employees and treat them terribly based on their feedback if they don't like what's said. I'm sure that's happening at higher levels as well. Disagreement is not tolerated. New ideas are not tolerated. It's a stifling environment to work in.

Advice to Management

If the corporate culture is "No Jerks," it is past time to reevaluate who is working in upper management positions (such as district manager and above). In the last few years, it has only gotten worse and worse- each person they bring in to do the job is worse than the last. There is no acceptable way to address a concern when your general manager and your district manager are best friends. Also, figure out anew formula for whether or not "labor costs" are acceptable. It got to the point where it was nearly impossible to run acceptable labor without sacrificing customer service. Oh, I could go on and on, but I'm trying not to dwell on the past anymore...

2. "Worked as a runner/sandwich maker for a summer"

Former Employee - Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch benefits! They vary from location to location but it's always delicious.

Cons

None really, though I have a bad back so standing for a long time at any job is hard for me.