Panera Bread - What a shame | Glassdoor

"What a shame"

Former Employee - Manager in Clearwater, FL
Former Employee - Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They donate the unsold baked goods to shelters at the close of business. The products used to make the food are high quality.

Cons

The upper management of the Covelli Franchises are ruthless and inhumane to their managers and each other. As a manager I was paid for 40hrs a week but never worked fewer then 60, with no additional pay or reward. They were experts at making big promises only to never fulfill them. The crucial point is how unprofessionally they treat their managers, I was cursed at, called on my personal cell phone at all hours of the day and night, expected to make runs to other stores on my own time using my own car and gas without even a tiny glimmer of appreciation. The turnover rate for managers was extremely high, I lasted two years, far longer then most. It wasn't unusual to see a manager break down and walk off the job. Character assassination at it's worst. Finally, the actual food knowledge of the upper management was laughable. A superior of mine was in the location I managed for a quality check, I explained to her the the steam table was running too hot and breaking the soups. She had no idea what I meant.... this was my boss. Ugh.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and they will take care of your restaurant. If you treat your managers like garbage, what outcome to you expect??

Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread

1. "Best job yet"

Current Employee - Associate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

personable management, plenty of hours (for a part-time job), flexible scheduling (I'm taking one class), 70% meal discount ($2-$3 a meal), Panera Cares (we package leftover baked goods for donations),

Cons

long hours on feet, difficult coworkers (know who you're dealing with and use your people skills), I've been there almost a year, am a valued employee, and have been promised to be promoted to a Trainer position, but I don't think it's going to happen :(

Advice to Management

Cross-train more employees instead of hiring new ones!

"Get use to being used"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, decent benefits, not much else

Cons

Lots of stress, limited time to do required paperwork while having courses and sessions added on

Advice to Management

Treat you employees like more than gophers. Don't ask for more and more without providing to means to get this done.