Panera Bread - From Excitement and High Hopes to Complete Disappointment and Frustration | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

"From Excitement and High Hopes to Complete Disappointment and Frustration"

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator
Former Employee - Catering Coordinator

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

65% employee meal discount. You never tire of the food, it's good. Sanitation is a biggie! 99% of the customers are great to service

Cons

Too much clicking in the management pool. If your a catering coordinator, you are overworked and under paid. There is no adequate help on large large volume days. Management just wants the sale & you don't matter. Hours are horrific somedays. No benefits worth a darn except management and bakers.

Advice to Management

If you want high volume catering, make sure the catering coordinator has space to work! The new stores have no room and the caterer has no place to call their own. Don't let managers take catering orders to the point that the caterer is ready to die, just to get the sales for the store. Pay more for mileage! I put 3000 miles on my vehicle in 3 months and I didn't drive a hunk of junk! 41 cent a mile? come on. Southwest Moe's pays 50 cents! That's a 9 cent difference! Then 10.00 per hour to start, with an erratic sleep schedule, stocking, prepping, packaging, delivery and set up? Once again......Moe's pay 10.00 just to deliver their product. No 4 am work schedule, no killing yourself waking at 3 am...to get the food made and they get paid more per mile. Some Catering Coordinators get Aprons, shirts, file boxes etc..to look professional and tools to do their job. Others do not. It's inconsistent. Managers get free meals, Catering Coordinators do not and we work just as hard and sometimes harder! I wanted a career at Panera but when I decided Catering was not for me and I wanted another position, I suddenly wasn't doing a good enough job. So that's when I decided Panera didn't care about me as an employee. I felt I gave my blood for these people! I never called out or came in late. I busted my ass and I was loyal! Would I tell someone to work for Panera? Only people who want to work the line or register. Nothing in management and certainly not to be a Catering Coordinator. Totally disappointed in a place I thought would be great.

Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread

"All depends on management."

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome GM (at my store)
    Great employee discount.
    Friendly atmosphere
    Lots of regular customers

Cons

Company is caring less and less about employees (taking away time and 1/2 pay on holidays, no longer offering raises for becoming trainer, annual raises are literally just pennies)

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times..."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was promoted very quickly into Management after about three months working as a Catering Coordinator. Panera "Warmth" (company culture) was established in earnest and when it was right it was a great working environment. Food and beverages are really quite good and thoughtfully developed. There were a handful of excellent people in upper management who I really enjoyed working with and for, and who would bend over backwards to help you excel in your position. Benefits were available for both full and part-time employees. Some customers (unfortunately not very many) became almost part of the Panera family and were an absolute joy to interact with.

Cons

Not a single raise in salary despite being a top performer and working with the company for four years. Empty promises from upper management such as "meet such and such goal and you can expect to be promoted/given a pay raise" only to meet and/or exceed said goal and still not being promoted/given raise. Management staff was put together without thought to how they might interact with each other often resulting in an uncomfortable work environment. Stagnating in the same position year after year bred contempt and left myself and others feeling increasingly frustrated and bored. Customers for the most part were incredibly nasty and rude without any provocation (although this seems generally true of most food service establishments). Hours were horrible. Opening shifts started at 5am and ended at 3pm and closing shifts were 12pm to 10pm, however, we often had to stay an extra hour or two most shifts. Salaried managers are paid for 40 hours/week but had to work a mandatory minimum of 50hrs/week. Days off were sporadically scheduled, you get two days off but rarely get them off two days in a row, they were usually spread out for ex. off Mon. and Sat. Not unusual to work 7 or 8 days in a row though.

Advice to Management

Correct all of the above Cons. Work hard to keep and even improve on the Pros. Figure out a way to keep your staff progressing and growing especially if you cannot promote or give pay raises. Remember that your staff would like to have a life outside of Panera Bread. All Panera employees are required to submit exhaustive and lengthy reviews of their bosses, work environment, pay, etc., etc., and they do so twice a year. You need to really read them and take the reviews and comments to heart and act upon the concerns of your employees. Otherwise just stop making them write the darn things! Finally, it is fine to correct and coach and discipline your employees when its necessary, but don't forget to praise them and acknowledge outstanding performance too.