Panera Bread - From Excitement and High Hopes to Complete Disappointment and Frustration | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Panera Bread

"From Excitement and High Hopes to Complete Disappointment and Frustration"

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator
Former Employee - Catering Coordinator

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

65% employee meal discount. You never tire of the food, it's good. Sanitation is a biggie! 99% of the customers are great to service

Cons

Too much clicking in the management pool. If your a catering coordinator, you are overworked and under paid. There is no adequate help on large large volume days. Management just wants the sale & you don't matter. Hours are horrific somedays. No benefits worth a darn except management and bakers.

Advice to Management

If you want high volume catering, make sure the catering coordinator has space to work! The new stores have no room and the caterer has no place to call their own. Don't let managers take catering orders to the point that the caterer is ready to die, just to get the sales for the store. Pay more for mileage! I put 3000 miles on my vehicle in 3 months and I didn't drive a hunk of junk! 41 cent a mile? come on. Southwest Moe's pays 50 cents! That's a 9 cent difference! Then 10.00 per hour to start, with an erratic sleep schedule, stocking, prepping, packaging, delivery and set up? Once again......Moe's pay 10.00 just to deliver their product. No 4 am work schedule, no killing yourself waking at 3 am...to get the food made and they get paid more per mile. Some Catering Coordinators get Aprons, shirts, file boxes etc..to look professional and tools to do their job. Others do not. It's inconsistent. Managers get free meals, Catering Coordinators do not and we work just as hard and sometimes harder! I wanted a career at Panera but when I decided Catering was not for me and I wanted another position, I suddenly wasn't doing a good enough job. So that's when I decided Panera didn't care about me as an employee. I felt I gave my blood for these people! I never called out or came in late. I busted my ass and I was loyal! Would I tell someone to work for Panera? Only people who want to work the line or register. Nothing in management and certainly not to be a Catering Coordinator. Totally disappointed in a place I thought would be great.

Other Employee Reviews for Panera Bread

"What a shame"

Former Employee - Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They donate the unsold baked goods to shelters at the close of business. The products used to make the food are high quality.

Cons

The upper management of the Covelli Franchises are ruthless and inhumane to their managers and each other. As a manager I was paid for 40hrs a week but never worked fewer then 60, with no additional pay or reward. They were experts at making big promises only to never fulfill them. The crucial point is how unprofessionally they treat their managers, I was cursed at, called on my personal cell phone at all hours of the day and night, expected to make runs to other stores on my own time using my own car and gas without even a tiny glimmer of appreciation. The turnover rate for managers was extremely high, I lasted two years, far longer then most. It wasn't unusual to see a manager break down and walk off the job. Character assassination at it's worst. Finally, the actual food knowledge of the upper management was laughable. A superior of mine was in the location I managed for a quality check, I explained to her the the steam table was running too hot and breaking the soups. She had no idea what I meant.... this was my boss. Ugh.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and they will take care of your restaurant. If you treat your managers like garbage, what outcome to you expect??

2. "Best job yet"

Current Employee - Associate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

personable management, plenty of hours (for a part-time job), flexible scheduling (I'm taking one class), 70% meal discount ($2-$3 a meal), Panera Cares (we package leftover baked goods for donations),

Cons

long hours on feet, difficult coworkers (know who you're dealing with and use your people skills), I've been there almost a year, am a valued employee, and have been promised to be promoted to a Trainer position, but I don't think it's going to happen :(

Advice to Management

Cross-train more employees instead of hiring new ones!