Paper Source - Great Place to Work for Creative Types | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Paper Source

"Great Place to Work for Creative Types"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Paper Source part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Encourages employees to explore their own creativity

-Regularly employee outings

-Encourages employees to learn new things/skills

Cons

-No longer pays more for facilitating workshops

-Regularly employee reviews were redundant

-Lots of standing around sometimes

Other Employee Reviews for Paper Source

"ABSURD...."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Paper Source full-time

Pros

30% Discount
    Beautiful products
    Nice, newly built out store

Cons

-Antiquated Computer systems w/ haphazard tech support from corporate.
    -POS closing procedure was a joke...the archaic system took 35 minutes to close down at each night.
    -Inventory replenishment flow from corporate was spotty and disorganized.
    -My staff was ill-chosen by a disconnected, hysteric/OCD/bi-polar Regional Sales Manager
    -Staffing hour allotments from corporate provided inadequate staffing for my high volume, high traffic store.
    -Store manager is given a ridiculous amount of weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports to generate which removed me from my floor, staff and customers. What was the point of it? To this day I still do not understand the benefit of it or purpose.
    -Meeting and exceeding sales quotas, host of the party sales floor management, praising/correcting in the moment, perfect shipment processing and behind the scenes inventory management, perfect floor replenishing, constant demos ongoing throughout the day, winning corporate sponsored inter-store contests, perfect attendance, 50 hours per week plus cleaning the bathrooms and washing the floors all for only $45k a year....and not one Thank you or ounce of praise from the regional manager....RUN, RUN, RUN....
    -I wouldn't wish the title of : Store Manager for Paper Source on my very worst enemy.

Advice to Management

-Invest in appropriate computer technology, inventory systems, and simplify the closing procedures.
    -The SM and ASM are 40 hours per week, add a 40 hour per week key holder, then a 30 hour per week key holder and guarantee part time staff 20 hours per week minimum. Do you really think a part timer given 6 hours a week is going to care to learn the custom print program?
    -Stop the over complicated window displays. Do you realize that creating some of those displays would take 40-60 hours to craft and install?
    -Regional Managers should have the intelligence, kindness, thoughtfulness, business acumen and humanity of the CEO. The only thank you or words of encouragement I received was from Sally Pfocher-CEO Paper Source on the 2 occasions she visited my store.

"more Urban Outfitters than an arts and crafts store"

I worked at Paper Source part-time

Pros

-you get to make fun paper crafts

Cons

oh where do i I start?

-where I worked, management would treat you like you're a dimwit on the register and on the sales floor...that you don't know how to talk to and up-sell customers. I can recall the number of times I would make my rounds around the store and have fun conversations with customers and ask about their day and have my assistant manager glaring at me from the register counter. The assistant manager at the PS I worked at was extremely micromanaging and would tell you one thing and then five minutes later tell you what you did was wrong. I was damned if I did, damned if I didn't.
    -extreme favoritism. I'm not sure if is this company wide but at the PS I worked at, I could tell who was teacher's pet and who incurred the wrath of the assistant manager.
    -customers can tell when you're trying to up-sell them. I don't care how much "training" you give your associates to make it sound like you aren't. You are and let the customer ask you questions instead of trying to pressure them into buying something they can get at Urban Outfitters.
    -absolutely no middle ground in terms of hours. Either you work the bare bones 3 1/5 a week or you work 40 hours (usually assigned to management).

Advice to Management

hire assistant managers who aren't still in the mentality of high school