Party City - Working for a franchise and then corporate was like working for two completely different companies. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Party City

"Working for a franchise and then corporate was like working for two completely different companies."

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Party atmosphere. Did not see too many customers coming in to shop for a party in a bad mood. Interaction with customers could be fun when exchanging ideas for their functions.

Cons

There is never enough hours to complete tasks. Each store has between 13 to 20 employees. The managers and the 1 to 2 full time employeees do all the work in the store. The other employees are there for cashiering and customer service.

Advice to Management

Be realistic in hours assigned. It would be nice to get helpful advice from the DM on how to complete tasks in the time given

Other Employee Reviews for Party City

"Would be okay for a first job in high school - otherwise don't bother"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

- Good discount
    - Good camaraderie with coworkers
    - Management will work around your schedule with enough notice
    - Variety of work so you don't necessarily have to do the same thing every shift

My coworkers were the main reason I stuck around for as long as I did. With few exceptions, they are willing to help you out of a jam as long as you're willing to do the same for them when asked.

Cons

For non-management positions:
    - No real training (I never even went through safety training, though it was clearly on the agenda)
    - Inconsistent expectations of employees
    - Scheduling on a week-by-week, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants basis - you won't know if you're working on Sunday morning until Saturday afternoon
    - Inconsistent work hours, averaging on the low end
    - Minimum wage pay
    - No hope of getting promoted, but IF you are the raise is minimal with an exponentially heavier workload
    - Management staff was often rude, verbally abusive, or dismissive to subordinates and among themselves

Every single person, literally - EVERY - SINGLE - PERSON, I talked to about the company at work said they were either looking for a second job or looking for another job altogether. Workers who were better than I was would be reprimanded for things like "not working fast enough" despite working on two projects while the conversation was happening, while another coworker can leave the counter to go text in the bathroom for fifteen minutes, or text at the cash register despite a "strict" cell phone policy that apparently never gets enforced. You're expected to know things that have never been explained to you, and then you're subjected to some snark about "how do you not KNOW this?" while they finally take it on themselves to show you how it's done. To get cashier statistics up, there was supposed to be a contest where the three people with the best statistics at the end of the month would get a gift card. Next month rolls around, and when people start asking who won, the manager goes, "actually, you'll just get more work hours based on cashier performance now". Way to go back on your word and further diminish already abysmal morale at the same time!

If you need help with something and ask for it outside of the station you're assigned, it's like pulling teeth - with few exceptions, nobody who's supposed to be on backup is willing to help. There's only so much one person can do when you've been assigned three projects by three different supervisors, you have a shopping cart of merchandise that needs to be put away, you have a customer call on Line 1, two balloon orders that need to be finished, and three people waiting to be rung up in line - and you're the only person scheduled at the front of the store. This isn't an uncommon occurrence. And you are expected to stay for as long as they can hold you there for after your shift, because "you need the hours anyway, right?" If it comes down to hanging hours over my head to make me your *****, keep them - I don't intend on changing/canceling plans just because you didn't properly schedule me those hours in the first place.

I had to put in my two week's without a job lined up (luckily not the case anymore) because I was seriously concerned about getting so fed up at work that I'd walk out of the store and never come back. There's absolutely no incentive to work there, especially considering the fact that I worked my tail off in that Crazy and still couldn't pay rent. It's obvious that everyone who works there hates it, including management, which I suspect is part of the reason why they do and say the things they do (well, that and they don't have to worry about getting disciplined). It's just not worth it if you're trying to find a job where you want to stick it out for the long haul.

Advice to Management

Stop being a scrooge, pony up, and give your workers some reliable help. Pay for the extra time and training for your associates AND management. Pay for the extra man hours to have enough people in the store at one time to adequately handle the traffic and still get things done. DON'T put up a "Now Hiring" sign when you have 15-hour-a-week employees who all want more hours, so you can just hire five more people who will end up miserable like everybody else. Considering what amazing profits you've apparently been making (BECAUSE OF US), you can afford it.

"Do not walk away....RUN"

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The customers are generally happy due to the fact they are planning for a party. If you like Halloween you are in the correct place.

Cons

Manager get no respect. Employees tell you how to do your job even if you do it better and more efficient than they do. DM is clueless. Your word is nothing. I have never lied or cheated a company that I have worked for. But you are questioned by a outside loss prevention company every time an employee steals money or merchandise. Like we let them or even instructed them to do take the company property. I had one that actually asked me "you mean to tell me you have never ate a piece of candy?""You know, as we all do when we pass down the aisle." So, if anything happens in your store, you take the heat.

They give you no hours to get the job done. Now this is always an issue this all retail companies I will admit. But when they send out a plan for you to change an entire aisle, and it states in the plan that this will take "53 hour to complete", they literally give you 15 additional hours in the budget. The idea is that the store manager will stay over and work 7 days to get it done. And guess what, they are correct. I did it many, many times.

Advice to Management

It is hard to fill a cup that is already full as they say. They will not and do not listen. They think they have a perfect place.