Party City - Retail Roulette | Glassdoor

"Retail Roulette"

Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI
Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Low volume
- May have a good experience. Flip a coin.

Cons

- Ridiculous expectations for pay given (Beware the promises of good pay/quality of life "compared to other retailers". You will remember this later if you think otherwise.) The weekly tome of notes from HQ is a prime example of people coming up with things for you to do to justify their own employment...and it is a TOME. At Halloween have fun printing all of nearly 200 pages to read and execute "immediately".
- Micromanaged to death from the top down
- Pennies pinched so tight they bend
- Low paid (and I mean uncompetitively low) 90% PT staff expected to be "perfect" thus high turnover. Check the net and see who is always hiring. Low loyalty due to low engagement caused by upper-mgnt's lack of invovlement of operations at store level.

Advice to Management

Your field managers (read: DMs) have entirely too much freedom and many are running their district like their own personal kingdom, putting on a show when you decide to visit your one time a year. No one is *really* paying attention to what they are doing in the field... And these are just my observations for you to regard or ignore. I actually left on good terms so I don't care either way.

Other Employee Reviews for Party City

1. "Easy job but, definitely not for somebody with bills to pay."

Current Employee - Party City in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Party City in Houston, TX

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Really great about working with you school schedules.
    -35% employee discount.

Cons

-Lazy workers.
    -Not a lot of hours.
    -Minimum pay.

2. "A time I look back on fondly."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS

I worked at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had an enjoyable time working at Party City. It is an easy job especially while attending school (I worked there a few years in High School. It the time it was a fun working environment and I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with, many of whom I still stay in contact with many, many years later. There was always something to do even if it was just menial tasks. Many conversations still start out with "when I worked at Party City..."

Cons

At the time I'm sure I didn't think it was all that great, but looking back on it there weren't that many cons to the experience for someone in their teens. The downfalls I can think of now is the lack of clear structure from management. And the lack of growth. But considering I was still in High School I can understand why.