Party City - Love/Hate Relationship | Glassdoor

"Love/Hate Relationship"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some holidays off if you work for a franchise location, slow at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Cons

No comp time, management made to work and additional 10-20 hours a week...often. Lack of corporate structure. If the area office of your franchise is run by tyrants, they can make your life miserable. Very redundant work routine...hard to achieve a sense of accomplishment. Unnecessary workload.

Other Employee Reviews for Party City

1. "A fun weekend job, but boring and not dependable."

Pros

Great employee discount, fun atmosphere, fair pay, reasonable operating hours, fairly laid back about appearance (they allow some piercings and tattoos, uniform is simple)

Cons

(In my experience) I only worked a few hours per week, and although I was hired as seasonal, I was told I would be kept for full time and then very suddenly they changed their minds. It was also very monotonous, as there is generally not heavy customer traffic so most of your day is spent restocking or "straightening".

Advice to Management

Try to add more full-time positions, and communicate better with employees.

"General Manager tasks and responsibilities"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a store for parties and it can be a fun and exciting place to work. There is major customer service and helping customers plan a holiday party or a big sporting event is rewarding.

Cons

A party store is always in a constant state of change; setting up for each holiday and other events throughout the year such as Graduation is mentally and physically demanding. Planning is critical to execution and little cooperation is given from the corporate office. The only message is get it done and within budget.

Advice to Management

The level of involvement by your DM is one of the biggest factors in the success of any GM. He can micro-manage you to death or they can review and make suggestions. The task load is large and never ending and although there is some regularity; i.e. Halloween is always October 31st, there are always very significant changes each year.