Party City - Not a party | Glassdoor

"Not a party"

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really bad pay with a great discount on junk.

Cons

Worked to the bone for the least amount of pay they can get away with giving you. Horrible yearly raises. Mean clientele and corporate has no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers. Corporate hire someone with a brain to run your business. For the love of god stop doing meaningless resets and remodels every six months they are nothing but a waist of time and money.

Other Employee Reviews for Party City

"Horrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wish I could say there are pros, but there are none.

Cons

Just a horrible place, run by total incompetence. Your expected to work 12 or more hours a day, and at night from home whenever needed. (which is most of the time). Yearly increase is 1-2 percent. All management that I worked for were total idiots. HR dept is probably the worse I've ever seen. They tell you everything you want to hear to get you in the door, and never come through on any of it. I've never seen as many people so eager to leave an employer. Just a very depressing place to work. I don't see Party City doing well in the future.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees. Also, upper management needs to be held accountable for their actions. They throw everyone else under the bus.

"Good place for beginners to get their feet wet but not someplace to retire from"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free cake on the last Thursday of the month and weekends off (mostly)

Cons

PC is where your skills come to die. I've heard this all too often in my tenure there and it's true. You'll come to know that the longer you stay there, the less marketable you will become in our ever changing marketplace. PC has the "If it's not broken, leave it alone" mentality and when change does come, it's usually a mad rush to get it done either due to poor planning or managements inefficiency to make decisions.

There is a lot to warn people about working for PC; too much to list here but my recommendation to you is this: Join if you are fresh out of school or in a new field, get a few years under your belt, and then move on. That's mostly what everyone else does and seems to work. Employee turnaround at PC corporate is high and many of the people that are still there wish they had someplace else to go. You'll see. I'm not trying to be negative, just telling it as I see it.

Another biggie, was the inability to work from home unless it was after hours, which seems to happen more than you would think. You will be expected to be always reachable and able to log in 24/7.

Oh, one more thing, and it's a biggie: expect somewhere around a 1-2% raise each year. No matter what you hear as far as sales prior to review time, there is ALWAYS an excuse as to how the business is not doing well and how a 2% raise is better than what most will get. I've heard it every year that I was there.

Advice to Management

Find other jobs