Party City - Happy Employees = Happy Customers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Party City

"Happy Employees = Happy Customers"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-Workers, whether you like them or not, are your 2nd family. We at Party City can relate to one another because of the chaos that goes around in our stores. Flexible schedules are amazing, thanks to my store's management team. Annual raises.

Cons

If anyone has been working at Party City for less than 2 years, and is a newly hired cashier, or Halloween temp., their review does not matter since they haven't experienced the company enough. These are my views of working for Party City.

1.) Party City favors customers WAYYYYY more than their Employees 100%.

- One complaint to corporate leads to a chain of punishment calls and emails to District Mgt. down to GM's down to all associates. The complaint by customers usually comes from the hundreds of $$$ that corporate spends on graphics that promote Sales. Customers DONT READ. Customers constantly complain that they are right about prices ( For example: Buy 1 get 1 free cups). Once the Promotion is explained to the customer proving they are wrong. They get upset and to keep them happy, we are forced to give them the product at the price they THOUGHT was right.This results in Loss of $$ and a complaint still given to corporate. The mentality of some customers is sometimes questionable, but nevertheless we are still forced to make customers happy at the expense of OUR happiness.

2.) Party City expects too much from managers resulting in no time to train seasonal, and newly hired employees.

- Improper training results in poor performance and productivity. Training is sometimes provided by associates who 1. Don't know what they themselves are doing. 2. Don't even care . or 3. Provide no training at all. I myself am a training fanatic. I love to teach associates all about our company. Whether its in receiving, sales floor, or register, I will make sure the associate receives as much knowledge as possible to make our company great. However, I am only a sales associate. I do not receive the extra pay or bonuses for doing the extra work I take off managements hands. I am going to school for business management, so I am using Party City as practice since I don't see a future with this company; considering everything I am stating about it.

3.) There is little to NO recognition for excellent performance in this company.

- Rewarding and Recognizing great work is a source of Motivation. Since Party City is not fond of rewarding associates with Monetary bonuses, they should at least take the time and effort to keep their staff motivated through a different source of rewards. Motivation should be provided by managers, but if managers are not happy, how can employees be happy?? This is business management 101. I try to motivate my co-workers as much as possible to keep their spirits up. If an associate is in a good mood, they will want to interact with customers much more. If an associate is unhappy, well, I don't have to say much.. Look at Party City's Facebook page. FILLED with customer complaints about bad "customer service" Happy employees = Happy customers . Happy customers = More business . More business = More money . More Money = :) .

Advice to Management

1.) APPRECIATE your employees. 2.) SPEND the extra revenue on employees with great performance NOT on graphics which customers tag, spit gum on, and destroy/ don't pay attention to. 3.) Walk in our shoes.. experience memorizing sku's for 325465 types of candy and recovering Favors for at least 2 weeks.

Other Employee Reviews for Party City

"Party City does not care about their employees"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Party City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and good benefits

Cons

More work than can be done. skeleton staffing. demoralizing managers. no training

"Probably would be a better short time job than a long term career."

Current Employee - FT Team Lead
    Current Employee - FT Team Lead

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved up to management within a year of being employed with the company.
    Loved my coworkers when I first started and everybody wanted to help each other out.
    Ability to really help customers plan their events.
    Great discount on product.

Cons

High turn over rate.
    Expected to work just as hard as any of the other higher paid managers but with no compensation to match it.
    Expected to go to other stores to help with projects with little to no recognition or gratitude.
    No incentive to stay pay wise.
    Huge cut in payroll hours in recent years.
    Need to have open availability for management which is understandable but when you aren't getting paid enough to support only one job it is hard to like your job anymore.
    Some of the managers are more willing to gossip about how awful they think some of the employees are instead of properly training them so that they have the chance to succeed..
    Expect new employees to work just as hard and with little to no errors with very little training.
    Corporate expects you to do the same thing at least twice if not more and does not provide extra hours for you to fix their mistake.
    Very little feedback requested from the store level. Corporate just blindly seems to throw out ideas without seeing if they really do work or not. There focus just seems so backwards and they are more worried about getting as much money from the business while having very dissastified employees.

Advice to Management

Have a better more effective training