Party City - Merchandise Control Associate | Glassdoor

"Merchandise Control Associate"

Former Employee - Merchandise Control Associate in Rockaway, NJ
Former Employee - Merchandise Control Associate in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

**I worked in headquarters and these are my experiences:
-Friendly environment
-SUPER Fun company culture: Party City had lots of team building activities throughout the year. They really try to stay true to their "party" mission

Cons

**I worked in headquarters and these are my experiences:
-Not much room for career advancement
-Some of the directors/managers do not discipline managers who need it (ie: had a boss who was very tyrannical and verbally threatened someone. Discipline for her threats were not imposed)

Advice to Management

Managers need to be assessed by their staff as they are the ones who work extremely close with the manager. Directors and Executives of the Party City HQ should intervene if they get enough information about an unethical manager. In my department, with all of us employees combined, there was enough proof to have a manager rightfully fired. Actually, we even had proof of threats! It took a new director hired within the company to take action towards this specific manager.

Other Employee Reviews for Party City

"You can do much better but great if this is your first job."

I worked at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, weekends mostly off, 2 free drink tickets for the Holiday party

Cons

Poor management and company direction. There's always an excuse around review time how the company had another bad year and can not afford to give you more than a 1.5-2% increase again this year. High employee turnover but management doesn't seem to care because they will either have the others do more or find someone else eventually to come in at a cheaper salary than the person who left.

True story: After Halloween one year, the CEO sent out a voicemail to all employees letting them know what a good season we had (oddly enough, I still only received a 2% raise due to poor sales) and advised everyone to find an open bag of candy and enjoy a piece on the company. Kudos for your hard work!

Sounds ridiculous, right? There are many more stories like this and others that just leave you in amazement such as:

You can not work from home unless its after hours

State of Emergency due to snow; offices open and must use a vacation day if you can not make it in

Work on a problem until the AM hours or on weekends? Management is not able to give you comp time nor will go out of their way to let you leave early

It's not a fun place at all and actually, a very depressing company to work for.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They don't listen anyway. But if you did, rotate the songs in your over played commercials because it's starting to get grating listening to Thriller every time they air. I used to like that song at one point.

2. "Worked and treated like a dog"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Encinitas, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Encinitas, CA

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount .... That really is it

Cons

Horrible pay. Treated poorly. Stressful. No room for improvement. Bitter management. Sexist.
    No fun aloud.

Advice to Management

Pay us more and stop expecting us to be super heros. Treat us better too! Lighten up!!! Customers want fun not misery!