Patagonia - Patagonia - like camp for working adults. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Patagonia

"Patagonia - like camp for working adults."

Former Employee - Manager in Ventura, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Ventura, CA

Pros

Tremendous brand with great values - at the end of the day you feel good about supporting this brand. Fantastic people. Lots of room for entrepreneurial endeavors. Flexible schedule/hours. Wear flip flops every day to work. On site day care. Work side by side with very happy people. Great subsidized organic cafe on campus. Very little accountability (good and bad). Many business meetings turn into philosophical conversations regarding company values and commitment to the environment - I loved these unusual conceptual opportunities. Easy to take off for a bike ride, run, surf when stress hits the red zone.

Cons

Little turnover and slow growth philosophy make it challenging to move up in the company and grow professionally. Communication from Sr. Mgt in general is challenging here - not always sure what the strategic initiatives are. The last few years this has improved but managing to those initiatives has not.

Advice to Management

Need better strategic planning process - and then communicate with the whole company.

Other Employee Reviews for Patagonia

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Patagonia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on products
    Work with cool people

Cons

Unnecessarily on your feet most of the day in work

Low pay which seems hypocritical given the values the company purports- particularly not being paid for responsibility

Management is very poor

No staff room!!!

Advice to Management

Grow up and get your act together

"The worst place I've ever worked at - bar none"

I worked at Patagonia full-time

Pros

Many nice colleagues, discounts on merchandise, sometimes free access to documentaries and presentations

Cons

In nearly 30 years of working I have never seen such abominable behavior and attitude by management (mostly) and by so many employees anywhere. Mine was a truly horrific experience and I cannot believe this company has the nerve to advertise itself as the epitome of ethics when it treats people so poorly, and that is being kind. I've worked for horrible bosses, the type who made me or coworkers cry, but my opinion of this company as a whole is not that they're horrible but rather evil, of the extremely egotistical type.

In my experience, what I read in the other negative reviews is accurate. Management is oh so bad. The arrogance alone left me speechless. The way some top managers talked to employees was shocking, and if you think HR is there to ensure any professionalism you are wrong. I would also say that being hired as manager has little or nothing to do with competence, but rather with connections or as someone else said, your brown-nosing abilities.

One of the problems at this place is that it indeed feels like a cult, and employees are expected become part of it and never ever question it. That did not sit well with me. What I did witness was perfectly competent colleagues being outcast or let go for questioning, however diplomatically, any behavior that I would agree seemed unethical or just plain wrong. Having a mind of one's own is, as you might deduce, not acceptable.

Based on my experience, I'd say that the company is divided into "worshipers" of the "cult" and everyone else - Lord have mercy on the latter group, though if that's where you find yourself you won't last long at this awful employer. So what makes this place the worst ever? As far as I could tell, the worshipers believe not only that they are better than others but that their very existence is worthier than everyone else's. Something that's only happened here, for example, is that during my time at this place I shared meals with colleagues, and we became friends (or so I thought) who went out for drinks and shared bits of our personal lives. On my last day these supposed friends told me they were sad I was leaving and took me for drinks. Now, I have friends from all the various jobs I've ever undertaken over the years but the folks who work at this place? My messages and calls went ignored.

And yes, the pay is low and the hours are long, and there seems to be no room for mobility since, as I mentioned, becoming manager isn't related to competence or skills.

I have worked with my share of fashion divas, entertainment starlets, and other egocentric types who get off on humiliating others, and the difference between them and this company is that they never wrote books or articles about what wonderful people they are, they never pretended to be wonderful. What I believe makes this company evil and the worst employer ever is that they pretend to be good, they toot their own horn, and so they do as they please like a spoiled evil little brat.

In short, management is abhorrent, you're expected to shut your mouth and listen to horrible things management says to you, and you must follow the rules of the "cult". Should you not "fit in" (yes, that is the term actually used), you're let go.

Advice to Management

What else is there to say. You are unfit to lead a lemonade stand and you already know what kind of people you are.